Question Help! Need Buffalo Recovery USB Dongle or files for TeraStation WSS 6 Pro WS-6V12TL/R5 to recover

Apr 22, 2020
I can't find my NAS recovery dongle and need help. Since I'm do not have the "Original Sales Receipt" Buffalo will not sell me a replacement recovery Dongle for my NAS unit. If anyone can help me by cloning the dongle for this NAS and getting it or the files to do so to me I could recover the unit to operational status. You would make my day.

If this is not possible can I hack it using linux to make a working backup unit?? I know the microprocessor is the Intel Atom D510 CPU in the unit with 2gb of memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Les

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020
Since I can't run the firmware updater without the Windows Storage Server 2008r2 OS loaded on the NAS I need the recovery dongle to boot from with the firmware updater available. As far as I can tell I can't do one without the other so I'm at a road block.

Anyone have any idea's ?? I tried to load the Windows SS2008r2 via optical drive and then the OS install says it needs a driver to continue.... don't know what driver is needed to see the optical drive to continue the server OS install or see the hard drives.

I can boot into Linux Lite via the optical drive and it sees all six drives in the NAS. But I'm not a Linux wizard to get the files properly in place to use.

Note: I did use Diskpart in the WSS2008r2 install disk to format all six drives as NTFS partitions. However I believe I need to set disk 0 up with a MBR partition. and provide the proper bootloader files to start the boot process into the Storage Server OS. Unfortunately in the install disk the diskpart program only offers NTFS as the only partition type via the install disk. Any thoughts on the matter ???

Last edited: