Question HELP! Need New CPU Cooler

taylornicole

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
Okay so I don’t know much about computers. I bought one from CyberPower about two years ago. Lately my pc has been louder than normal. I think I narrowed down the sound to the radiator/fan for my cpu cooler. I cleaned out all the dust but it’s still loud even when my pc is just on my desktop. I’m thinking about replacing it. Looking at Corsair coolers. I don’t know which one or where to put it in my pc. Do I keep a 120mm in the back or get a 240 and put it on the side panel? Any comments appreciated. I seriously don’t know anything about this stuff. Click the link for photos!

Specs:
Case: IN WIN 101 Mid Tower High Air Flow Gaming Case
CPU: Intel i5-8600k 3.6GHZ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
FAN: CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
HDD: 240GB Kingston a400 SATA III SSD
HDD2: 1TB SATA III 7200RPM HDD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8GB
MOTHERBOARD: CyberpowerPC z370 SLI Xtreme ATX

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/6p6AFqr

Does it work

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
If its still under warranty, you could attempt to contact CyberPower and get it solved free.

Could replace it with air cooler if you want, Noctua NH-D15 is superb (Gammax 400 does a pretty good job for roughly 20-30$ also), otherwise NZXT Kraken M22 may be a suitable option.

taylornicole

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
If its still under warranty, you could attempt to contact CyberPower and get it solved free.

Could replace it with air cooler if you want, Noctua NH-D15 is superb (Gammax 400 does a pretty good job for roughly 20-30$ also), otherwise NZXT Kraken M22 may be a suitable option.
Is it possible the noise could just be the fan? Can I replace just the fan?

Does it work

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
Is it possible the noise could just be the fan? Can I replace just the fan?
You can (can be tricky depending how its mounted), but the Noctua NH-D15 would likely both perform better and run quieter than what you have there. However, it isnt as pretty as a water-cooler, where the NZXT Kraken comes in, at similar performance and noise profile.

The noise may not even be due to a faulty fan though, and is the result of poor thermal handling, how many intake and outtake fans are there not including the cpu cooler? I can't spot any in your pictures, which indicates extremely poor air flow, no new cool air for the radiator to use.

As far as I can tell, there is a base grate for 2 120mm fans and a side grate with room for 2 120mm fans (drags from passage down the side? this case seems inefficient). At a best guess its a re-branded msi z370 (gross, re-branding), which has 6 fan headers, more than enough for the 4 extra fans. You will likely see a large increase in the cool air entering the case with this, causing a positive pressure (more coming in than going out, ideally its equal, but your case is weird).

Using 2 fans on the side or the bottom will net you closer to a neutral airflow, install these depending on where your case is (no point using side panel if its against a wall etc).

Last edited:

taylornicole

Commendable
Jun 5, 2017
You can (can be tricky depending how its mounted), but the Noctua NH-D15 would likely both perform better and run quieter than what you have there. However, it isnt as pretty as a water-cooler, where the NZXT Kraken comes in, at similar performance and noise profile.

The noise may not even be due to a faulty fan though, and is the result of poor thermal handling, how many intake and outtake fans are there not including the cpu cooler? I can't spot any in your pictures, which indicates extremely poor air flow, no new cool air for the radiator to use.

As far as I can tell, there is a base grate for 2 120mm fans and a side grate with room for 2 120mm fans (drags from passage down the side? this case seems inefficient). At a best guess its a re-branded msi z370 (gross, re-branding), which has 6 fan headers, more than enough for the 4 extra fans. You will likely see a large increase in the cool air entering the case with this, causing a positive pressure (more coming in than going out, ideally its equal, but your case is weird).

Using 2 fans on the side or the bottom will net you closer to a neutral airflow, install these depending on where your case is (no point using side panel if its against a wall etc).
Yea there’s only the outtake fan for the radiator. Maybe I’ll get a 3 pack of fans and replace the radiator one then put two intakes on the side. I’ve always wondered why there was never more fans. Lol.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS