[SOLVED] Help! Need recommendation to buy a Good GPU

Oct 19, 2021
I am willing to buy 3060/3060ti/3070/3070ti any one of these in December this year. My PC specs are listed below. My Budget: 1000$
If I buy any one of the GPU mentioned, will it bottleneck my pc or will it be alright with these? If not, can you please recommended a gpu that goes with my specs? If not, which gpu would you recommend that will be best for me?
PS: I know that if I buy any of these, I will also have get a new PSU, which I will.

My PC Specs -
Processor- Intel(R) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM- DDR4 32 GB (8*4 sticks) 2400Mhz
Motherboard - tuf 360m-plus gaming
Corsair VS450W PSU
Gigabyte 256GB NVMe M.2 SSD+1TB HDD

Last edited:
Solution
Bottlenecking is over mentioned. Your system will perform as well as it can. If you want to reduce one bottleneck you just create another.

1440p 144/165 is the best of both worlds, which is bad for an unbalanced system, but you aren't quite there.

To get a high minimum FPS your CPU needs to be able to run the game engine at peak efficiency. This isn't strictly about single core performance any longer. Still a big factor, but many modern titles will consume more than 6 threads. Lower memory speed isn't ideal and that lower bandwidth will also have a small effect on minimum FPS.

Your maximum FPS is usually set by the GPU and your selected resolution and settings. You can tweak this a lot more than you can the game engine. Reduce...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Whichever you can get. They will all be bottlenecked on CPU bound titles. A 6 core CPU isn't ideal for many of the latest game titles. Memory speed is a little low as well.

Now if you were running 4K or something, then it will be the GPU being the bottleneck.

Short answer, don't worry about it.

If you can get an RTX3060 near retail, pretty good deal. Paying anything over $500 for it, might as well track down a 1080Ti or 2070. Any of the others, are alright under a $1000, but you can often find RTX3080 for that much from the likes of the Newegg Shuffle (you just have to be prepared to buy immediately) There are also the drops at Best Buys if you don't mind paying their little membership fee now.

Reactions: siam85
Oct 19, 2021
Whichever you can get. They will all be bottlenecked on CPU bound titles. A 6 core CPU isn't ideal for many of the latest game titles. Memory speed is a little low as well.

Now if you were running 4K or something, then it will be the GPU being the bottleneck.

Short answer, don't worry about it.

If you can get an RTX3060 near retail, pretty good deal. Paying anything over $500 for it, might as well track down a 1080Ti or 2070. Any of the others, are alright under a $1000, but you can often find RTX3080 for that much from the likes of the Newegg Shuffle (you just have to be prepared to buy immediately) There are also the drops at Best Buys if you don't mind paying their little membership fee now.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will take your suggestion. I just have one last question, I have a 27 inch monitor ( 2k resolution and 165hz refresh rate). If I buy 3060 gpu, will it bottleneck, then?
Any kind of suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 19, 2021
O boy, this is concerning.
  1. What is your suggestion or solution would be to avoid this bottleneck so that I can do same gaming at 1440p (I am not a hardcore gamer, will play casual games, but might want to try higher refresh rate if possible)?
  2. Would any of the older gpu (1660ti, 2070) would solve this problem?
  3. Or should I have to change any current specs so that I can buy 3060 or 3070 and also avoid bottleneck?

Oct 19, 2021
The 3000 series have very high transient power spikes that trigger protections of many good PSUs. The new RMx series are a good choice. As for wattage, 750w for most of the GPUs mentioned and 850w for 3070ti or better.
Noted. As you can see what Eximo said about bottleneck, any suggestion on what to do with the gpu ? Which one to buy or what specs to upgrade to have good refresh rate , avoid bottleneck and have a good gpu as well?

You should not worry about bottleneck. Any GPU you buy can be also used in a future platform (motherboard, CPU, RAM) upgrade you make.
As @Eximo already said, you can always go for higher resolution that will alleviate the work the CPU has to do and the GPU will be pushed harder. Another option is to find a used 8700k in a year or so if you dont want to spend much on a platform upgrade.

Everything else that he said is also seconded by me. The slow RAM speed, the high refresh rate being CPU dependant, the near MSRP for 3060, the newegg shuffle, the BestBuy drops, etc...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Bottlenecking is over mentioned. Your system will perform as well as it can. If you want to reduce one bottleneck you just create another.

1440p 144/165 is the best of both worlds, which is bad for an unbalanced system, but you aren't quite there.

To get a high minimum FPS your CPU needs to be able to run the game engine at peak efficiency. This isn't strictly about single core performance any longer. Still a big factor, but many modern titles will consume more than 6 threads. Lower memory speed isn't ideal and that lower bandwidth will also have a small effect on minimum FPS.

Your maximum FPS is usually set by the GPU and your selected resolution and settings. You can tweak this a lot more than you can the game engine. Reduce shadows, lighting, textures and you can run a high resolution at high FPS.

To keep a consistent high FPS at high settings you need to maximize both CPU and GPU. Your CPU is only slightly out of date mostly due to the lack of hyperthreading. An 8700k is an option, but not amazing. That socket should support 9th gen as well, and the i9-9900k should be the top chip, basically the late model i7 equivalent. Motherboards are pretty cheap and switching it out to gain access to 10th and 11th gen CPUs is worth it, or make the jump to AMD.

By the by, that can't be your motherboard, B450 is AMD, B360/B365, Z370, Z390 is Intel 8th/9th capable. You should double check that and check the manufacturer's website for a list of all compatible CPUs.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, 9900K or 9900KF ($334) would be your top choices and a nice heatsink. Motherboard VRMs leave a little to be desired, so maybe just the i9-9900 ($323) to keep power draw in check. (You'll still need a good heatsink)

Grab some DDR4-3200 and that should be about as good as it gets.

Or, since those are quite expensive CPUs anyway, maybe look at an i5-10400F or 10600k which is the same 6 core 12 threads as an 8700k, just add motherboard.