Question HELP! Need to safely separate used CPU from heat-sink ASAP!

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Any suggestions on how to remove an old CPU from a stock heatsink without damaging either?

I offered to upgrade the CPU in a friends PC. But after swapping the old 2200G for a 5600G, the computer wouldn't even POST. An online search says I probably need to update the BIOS.

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this without a CPU (Asrock B450 Pro 4 motherboard) so I must put the old CPU back.

When I removed his old CPU heatsink, it pulled out the CPU with it (apparently, it appears his old CPU has fused itself to the stock heatsink.)

I can't put the old CPU back in with the CPU Lock Lever up, and I don't want to force it back in with the lever down.

The CPU is stuck to the (stock Ryzen) heat-sink like it was welded to it. I don't want to start prying it off with a knife or a screwdriver.

Any ideas? TIA.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Twisting motions back and forth perpendicular to the mating surface. That should do it.

If not enough, point a hair dryer at it to warm it up a little.

Or remove the fan from the heatsink, and dip the heatsink into some very warm water, should also be enough to heat up the thermal compound and loosen it.

Reactions: Mugsy

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thanks.

Too tight to twist by hand, so I'll try removing the fan and trying your other two suggestions.

UPDATE: Hair Dryer on high for about a minute worked. I was then able to twist it off with a paper towel. Thanks.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS