[SOLVED] HELP! Need to safely separate used CPU from heat-sink ASAP!

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Any suggestions on how to remove an old CPU from a stock heatsink without damaging either?

I offered to upgrade the CPU in a friends PC. But after swapping the old 2200G for a 5600G, the computer wouldn't even POST. An online search says I probably need to update the BIOS.

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this without a CPU (Asrock B450 Pro 4 motherboard) so I must put the old CPU back.

When I removed his old CPU heatsink, it pulled out the CPU with it (apparently, it appears his old CPU has fused itself to the stock heatsink.)

I can't put the old CPU back in with the CPU Lock Lever up, and I don't want to force it back in with the lever down.

The CPU is stuck to the (stock Ryzen) heat-sink like it was welded to it. I don't want to start prying it off with a knife or a screwdriver.

Any ideas? TIA.

Solution
Twisting motions back and forth perpendicular to the mating surface. That should do it.

If not enough, point a hair dryer at it to warm it up a little.

Or remove the fan from the heatsink, and dip the heatsink into some very warm water, should also be enough to heat up the thermal compound and loosen it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Twisting motions back and forth perpendicular to the mating surface. That should do it.

If not enough, point a hair dryer at it to warm it up a little.

Or remove the fan from the heatsink, and dip the heatsink into some very warm water, should also be enough to heat up the thermal compound and loosen it.

Reactions: Mugsy
Solution

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thanks.

Too tight to twist by hand, so I'll try removing the fan and trying your other two suggestions.

UPDATE: Hair Dryer on high for about a minute worked. I was then able to twist it off with a paper towel. Thanks.

Last edited: