Question Help needed, and also a summarized guide for Keyboard and Mouse working in BIOS but not...anywhere else

Nov 19, 2020
My mouse and keyboard works in BIOS but does not work anywhere else. It was working perfectly fine the night before but in the morning the problem suddenly came up. I've done some research online and tried the following:

Observations made
  1. There is power to all my USB ports. Numlock on keyboard flashes every time a key is pressed.
  2. Computer cant read my USB mouse and keyboard at windows log-in page
  3. Computer cant read my USB mouse and keyboard at windows installer when booting from a thumbdrive to reinstall windows (it gets to the installer page though)
  4. Both keyboard and mouse works in BIOS
  5. Legacy USB is enabled in BIOS.
Solutions attempted
  1. Tried removing all USB devices and re-plugging at log-in page (not solved)
  2. Reset CMOS (not solved)
  3. Flash BIOS (not solved)
  4. Tested mouse and keyboard on other computers (they both work)
  5. Tested other mouse and keyboard on faulty computer (not solved)
  6. Tried hard reboot (haha not solved)
  7. Tried using USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0 ports (not solved)
  8. Tried entering SafeMode (unable to enter)
  9. Tried reinstalling windows using bootable disk (not solved, cannot reinstall as mouse and keyboard not detected)
Note: I cannot use remote access as I have no pre-installed software for this on my desktop like Chrome Remote or TeamViewer. So updating drivers is not an option
Note 2: I don't have a PS/2 mouse/keyboard either I've tried looking and asking around.

My conclusions so far:
-Not OS/Driver issue cause doesn't work on bootable Thumb-drive
-Not BIOS issue cause reset and flash BIOS did not help
-Not hardware issue cause everything works in BIOS and my USB ports can read any Thumb-drives (and provides power to peripherals)
- Not peripheral issue because they work on other computers

Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte z97x UD3H
GPU - Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GTX970
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-9 1.50V 16GB (2x8GB)
OS - Windows 10
Can't really remember the rest... PC is 6+ years old and I've thrown the boxes

I'm quite lost to be honest, looking for any other suggestions.

As a guide:
If your mouse or keyboard isnt working but is working in BIOS, its usually a driver/OS issue.
After checking that your mouse and keyboard works on another PC, you can attempt the following:
  1. Delete the mouse drivers from Device Manager and reinstall/replug your peripheral in
  2. Try any of the solutions I've tried in Solutions attempted
Note: Resetting CMOS and Flashing BIOS should be done as a last resort. Especially flashing BIOS cause it can render your system inoperable if its interrupted.

Thank you for reading, hope this also consolidates solutions for others out there!

Last edited:
My mouse and keyboard works in BIOS but does not work anywhere else. It was working perfectly fine the night before but in the morning the problem suddenly came up. I've done some research online and tried the following:

Observations made
  1. There is power to all my USB ports. Numlock on keyboard flashes every time a key is pressed.
  3. Computer cant read my USB mouse and keyboard at windows installer when booting from a thumbdrive to reinstall windows (it gets to the installer page though)
Solutions attempted
  1. Tried removing all USB devices and re-plugging at log-in page (not solved)
  2. Reset CMOS (not solved)
  3. Flash BIOS (not solved)
  4. Tested mouse and keyboard on other computers (they both work)
  5. Tested other mouse and keyboard on faulty computer (not solved)
  6. Tried hard reboot (haha not solved)
  7. Tried using USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0 ports (not solved)
  8. Tried entering SafeMode (unable to enter)
  9. Tried reinstalling windows using bootable disk (not solved, cannot reinstall as mouse and keyboard not detected)
Note: I cannot use remote access as I have no pre-installed software for this on my desktop like Chrome Remote or TeamViewer. So updating drivers is not an option
Note 2: I don't have a PS/2 mouse/keyboard either I've tried looking and asking around.

My conclusions so far:
-Not OS/Driver issue cause doesn't work on bootable Thumb-drive
-Not BIOS issue cause reset and flash BIOS did not help
-Not hardware issue cause everything works in BIOS and my USB ports can read any Thumb-drives (and provides power to peripherals)
- Not peripheral issue because they work on other computers

Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte z97x UD3H
OS - Windows 10
Can't really remember the rest... PC is 6+ years old and I've thrown the boxes

I'm quite lost to be honest, looking for any other suggestions.

As a guide:
If your mouse or keyboard isnt working but is working in BIOS, its usually a driver/OS issue.
After checking that your mouse and keyboard works on another PC, you can attempt the following:
  1. Delete the mouse drivers from Device Manager and reinstall/replug your peripheral in
  2. Try any of the solutions I've tried in Solutions attempted
Note: Resetting CMOS and Flashing BIOS should be done as a last resort. Especially flashing BIOS cause it can render your system inoperable if its interrupted.

Thank you for reading, hope this also consolidates solutions for others out there!
Could be as simple as setting USB mode to Legacy in BIOS

Nov 19, 2020
Could be as simple as setting USB mode to Legacy in BIOS

Observations made

Hello CountMike, I appreciate your reply but I have USB mode in BIOS already in Legacy setting.