[HELP NEEDED] Bad FPS with excellent system for unknown reason

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hello. I am having a strange issue with my computer, in select games (not all, and even then in select bits of the games) I get horrid FPS issues, down to 1 - 10 FPS. I have ruled out the graphics card and power supply as I placed them into another computer and that computer ran the games in question with no issues.

My specs are...
CPU : i7 6700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 AIO Cooler
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 ti (Has also been tested with an ASUS STRIX GTX 980)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 Memory (4 Sticks)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W

Full Details https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CLCL6h

The specs of the other computer that runs everything fine are...
CPU i7 4790k
CPU Cooler. Same as above
GPU. ASUS STRIX GTX 980 (Has also been tested with Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti)
Motherboard. Asus Maximus Vii Hero
RAM. 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (forgotten frequency) (Two sticks)
Power Supply. Same as Above.

Now I'll list the games that cause issues.

Mortal Kombat X. Here only one stage has performance issues and also Jason's intro and a few fatalities. The stage in question is Jensei Chamber and when I attempt to play on it when I go towards either edge of the stage my FPS tanks down to 1 - 10 FPS. The other computer has no issues.

Total War Warhammer. Consistent lag during battles, even on High. The other computer can handle Ultra with no issues.

GTA 5. When modded heavily the game stutters unplayably badly, the exact same set of mods on the other machine gives no performance issues or stutter at all.

Some others but those three are the major ones.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Explaining this would take an age. The core summery is that the build has a cloned drive from the computer that works.

If you want more detail or if I was unclear I'll go deeper into it.

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

That could be it, though I don't think that's it as the first install on this machine was a cloned drive from a Lenovo laptop, and I had no issues with that.

I will keep that in mind if all else fails though.

Uh, your problem may stem from not doing a proper clean install. Having said that the only other things I can think of are:

1. Power Options - make sure PCIe link-state isn't set high (it can throttle the PCIe bus... happened to me)

2. do an in-place W10 upgrade (not sure if the "RESET THIS PC" option does the same thing, but you can try first going to Settings-> Recovery-> Reset this PC.. )

#2 should end up overwriting core files and resetting some things that may be the cause of your problem. when prompted make sure to keep Data and Programs.

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

How would I check/change those link-state settings? Unfortunately I can not upgrade to W10 due to the fact that the built in wireless won't work on windows 10.

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Are there any other tests I can run before I do that? I have so much data and things pointing to things in other places it would take me weeks to get it sorted out, and it's really hard to find windows 8 in stores anymore.

Blue22111

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Yes, I did clone from my old computer.

I actually have 3 drives, thus why I am terrified by the idea of an os reinstall, I don't know how I would ever get things working again.

Is there anything else I can test before I do a reinstall?