[SOLVED] Help needed BIOS/Hardware on new build Z390 M Gaming

May 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

Here I am during my second build having countless issues, in need for help and advice !

Here is my build (which is actually an old case where I updated CPU motherboard and ram) :

• Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (already updated latest Firmware)
  • Intel I9-9900K with a Thermaltake SlimX3 cpu cooler
  • 2X32 DDR4 Crucial Ballistix gaming memory 3200 1,35V
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
  • PSU : Corsair VX 550W

For now, I’m stuck with random crashes before install launch, or during the beginning of install - I’ve done all my tests with and without GPU, with one or two Ram sticks placed on A2 or A2 and B2, and on my SSD - 2,5” Kingston 240GB - or a 500GB Hard Disk Drive connected in SATA - same result, it always crashes at some point. I also tried with several bootable USB sticks and a USB Drive partition.

here is the most info I Can give through here :
  • Motherboard : I tried several other BIOS configs while trying to install windows 10 as well, tried to manually set voltage and frequency for ram. Tried so much stuff that I’m getting lost in the BIOS.
  • CPU : I’m afraid that I didn’t get a cooler strong enough, or that I didn’t apply the thermal paste well enough - cause I’ve almost never done that. But I guess that even if I hadn’t done it well, it would still work for what I’m doing, right ? In BIOS my CPU temp is around 40-45°C - does it seem normal ?
  • RAM : that’s where I want to focus, because I remember that in my first build I also had a similar issue that was corrected with a manual RAM config - but it was years ago and I can’t find the old answer to this. As I wrote above, i tried several combinations, with XMP, without, with assigned voltage and frequency and Auto modes, with only one stick, on A1 B1, on A2 B2, on A2 only. I saw in some posts that the Z390 M Gaming is quite difficult with RAM, but I don’t know if this is my issue here.

My hints and leads :

Maybe silly questions, but that’s where I’m thinking :

• Motherboard alim : On my psu I only have a ATX 12V 2X4 and the motherboard as a ATX12V 2X4 AND a 2X2 . I read that it wasn’t necessary to put a 2X2, but what do you think about it ?
  • When trying to install Windows10, i got a loop of errors when starting the installation (windows cannot prepare computer to boot into the next phase of installation and others) - I followed a lot of threads to work on it, unsuccesfully - I went though the command prompt to clean the disk, it doesn’t work either.
  • RAM : Do you think that would be coming from it ?
  • How can I run some tests to define where my issue is ?

Many thanks ahead :)

Solution
Hi everyone,

Here I am during my second build having countless issues, in need for help and advice !

Here is my build (which is actually an old case where I updated CPU motherboard and ram) :

• EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
For now, I’m stuck with random crashes before install launch, or during the beginning of install - I’ve done all my tests with and without GPU, with one or two Ram sticks placed on A2 or A2 and B2, and on my SSD - 2,5” Kingston 240GB - or a 500GB Hard Disk Drive connected in SATA - same result, it always crashes at...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone,

• EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
For now, I’m stuck with random crashes before install launch, or during the beginning of install - I’ve done all my tests with and without GPU, with one or two Ram sticks placed on A2 or A2 and B2, and on my SSD - 2,5” Kingston 240GB - or a 500GB Hard Disk Drive connected in SATA - same result, it always crashes at some point. I also tried with several bootable USB sticks and a USB Drive partition.

here is the most info I Can give through here :
  • Motherboard : I tried several other BIOS configs while trying to install windows 10 as well, tried to manually set voltage and frequency for ram. Tried so much stuff that I’m getting lost in the BIOS.
  • CPU : I’m afraid that I didn’t get a cooler strong enough, or that I didn’t apply the thermal paste well enough - cause I’ve almost never done that. But I guess that even if I hadn’t done it well, it would still work for what I’m doing, right ? In BIOS my CPU temp is around 40-45°C - does it seem normal ?
  • RAM : that’s where I want to focus, because I remember that in my first build I also had a similar issue that was corrected with a manual RAM config - but it was years ago and I can’t find the old answer to this. As I wrote above, i tried several combinations, with XMP, without, with assigned voltage and frequency and Auto modes, with only one stick, on A1 B1, on A2 B2, on A2 only. I saw in some posts that the Z390 M Gaming is quite difficult with RAM, but I don’t know if this is my issue here.
My hints and leads :

Maybe silly questions, but that’s where I’m thinking :

• Motherboard alim : On my psu I only have a ATX 12V 2X4 and the motherboard as a ATX12V 2X4 AND a 2X2 . I read that it wasn’t necessary to put a 2X2, but what do you think about it ?
  • When trying to install Windows10, i got a loop of errors when starting the installation (windows cannot prepare computer to boot into the next phase of installation and others) - I followed a lot of threads to work on it, unsuccesfully - I went though the command prompt to clean the disk, it doesn’t work either.
  • RAM : Do you think that would be coming from it ?
  • How can I run some tests to define where my issue is ?
Many thanks ahead :)
MEMTEST86 would be my recommendation for your next test -- https://www.memtest86.com/ Bootable executable that will check your RAM for issues.

Solution
May 30, 2020
Hey kanewolf thanks for your message.
Just ran a memtest with both ram sticks, (test 5 - moving inversions, random patterns), no errors show up. Do you have another lead ?

Thxs!! (y)

May 30, 2020
Hey kanewolf, full test is currently going on. 1st pass on full tests with no errors. A 2 pass test is sufficient enough ? Or sould I run to a 4 pass full test ?
Since then I managed to install Windows but it keeps crashing randomly when I'm configuring Windows at launch.
Thanks !