Help needed (BIOS settings)

OliO

Distinguished
May 27, 2001
hey there, I need some guide lines here of how to set up my graphics settings. which one should i enable and which one should i disable ?
1) AGP fast write
2) AGP read synchronization
3) AGP aperture size
4) AGP master 1 W/S write
5) AGP master 1 W/R read
6) PCI delay transaction
I'm having a little problem with my system currently. My games always crash (my fastwrite is enable currently). I heard that if i enabled my AGP fast write, my games would crash very often, is that true ? Please guys, please give me a good settings. I want to run my games stablely and smoothly. I don't want any extra 10-15fps if i have to restart my system every one or 2 hours. Namuna plz help me
oh yeah should i set my antialiasing to 2x or 4x ??
thanks for spending your time on this

>>>when we are forgotten , we seized to exist<<<

Don't know much about the others, but the AGP aperture should be set to half the amount of your RAM. If you operate with 64MB or more, I'd set it to 64. If you set it to 128 it can cause memory address problems with Win 98.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1) AGP fast write - Off (if you are experiencing system instability.)
2) AGP read synchronization - On
3) AGP aperture size - half the the size of your physical memory. There's nothing wrong with using 128 if you have 256MB of RAM. This is a hardware setting ... not a Windows setting.
4) AGP master 1 W/S write - On
5) AGP master 1 W/R read - On
6) PCI delay transaction - On

If you want faster frame rates ... turn off the antialiasing. If you want the display to look better, turn it on. How high the setting is up to you. Personally, I prefer the smoothness that comes from faster frame rates, and I keep it turned off.

Other possible settings in your BIOS:

Fast Read/Write Turnaround - On
System Cache - Off
Video RAM - Off
AGP Driving Value - Auto
CPU/PCI Buffer - On
PCI Burst - On
PCI Master Write - On
Video BIOS Shadowing - Off

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

But if he is operating Win 98, he may encounter the problem above. I've encountered it. I now have mine set at 64MB. It really doesn't make that much difference to most.

<b>
</b>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's an interesting assumption. But ... I've set the AGP aperture setting to 128 many times in different machines, because it has become commonplace to install 256Mb of RAM. None of them have had problems as a result.

This means there is something wrong with your computer, and I'm willing to help you figure it out. Perhaps your BIOS needs upgraded? Or your motherboard is 1x?

I've had to temporarily set the aperture to 256 on some older motherboards that were 1x, especially if the video card was 2x or better, otherwise, games would crash. No other setting would work. But a BIOS upgrade, later on, nearly always fixed the problem.

I have not found this type of problem to have anything to do with the <i>version</i> of the operating system. It is usually due to either a video card driver, DirectX corruption, or a bug in the BIOS routine. Occasionally, Windows might be at fault, because of Registry corruption, an IRQ conflict, or a third-party software driver conflicting with the video card in some way. But a fresh installation of the OS and updated drivers can correct that kind of error.

But it is not something that is inherent in the Win98 OS. There would be much screaming and shouting going on, otherwise!

Would you mind posting some system specs, so that I could go and do some research on your system? I'd need your BIOS version number and date, the motherboard type and model number, the make of your video card, the video card BIOS type and date (if possible), and the video driver version you are running. It would also be helpful to know something about your sound card; if you have a NIC card, and whether your system is using APM or APCI power management.

See ya ...

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

G

eh? What BIOS is it? I can't find those settings...hmmm...I have 448Mb RAM and 32Mb card and I can't set it(AGP aperture size) to 224Mb, only 256 or 128, what would you recomend? I run A7V and what would be the fastest settings for Advanced section? I tried everything, my system didn't crash, but what those palletes and other stuff I heard that increases performance?

PII 300MHz
Aopen AX6L LX440 (original BIOS, purchased Nov '97)
Rage Fury 32MB AGP 2x original BIOS.(purchased 99)
Quantum Fireball 6.2GB (original drive)
Creative SoundBlaster AWE 64 (original card)
2 x 128MB PC-100 (1999/2000)

I got the odd out of memory if I had been running the system with Games, internet etc for 6 hours+ without a re-boot. Changed back to 64MB aperture and problem solved!

N.B. This occurred maybe 6 times in about 3 months. Never happened since.

<b>
</b>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
If your Vcard supports "fast writes", AGP single wait states, etc..(like a Geforce), then enable them.

The key is to try each one by itself if you're having
stability problems.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!