[SOLVED] Help needed: BSOD, VIDEO TDR_FAILURE

Aug 31, 2020
Hi knowledgeable people,

I have a two-year-old ASRock DeskMini running WIndows 10. It has integrated Intel HD Graphics 630.

A couple of times a day, it spontaneously reboots, giving the blue screen of death. The audio will start to stutter, the screen will go black, it may come back for a second, then it goes to the BSOD.

The error message is:
VIDEO TDR_FAILURE caused by module igdkmd64.sys.
This seems to only happen when I'm using Audacity audio editing software. I'm not certain of that, though, since I use Audacity a lot.

The video driver was updated a few times this summer by Windows. The problem started before these updates.
I tried using a USB sound device, tried increasing the fan speed, and tried running the video at half the resolution, but none seemed to help.
I ran MEMTEST a month ago and it found no problems.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas?

Just let me know if this is the wrong forum or if you need more info.

Thanks,

Luke

P.S. I found the instructions about creating an automatic dump file. Everything was already set up correctly except that Automatically Reboot was not checked (which I have now done). I don't see a .DMP file at C:\, so I'll check after the next BSOD and post it here.

P.P.S. I got another BSOD. The MEMORY.DMP file was 1 GB, which is too big for me to upload. I changed it to create a small dump file next time.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Jay,

Rats. I was told that the graphics is a separate chip on the mobo, but futher Googling shows that you're right. So now I need a CPU instead of another DeskMini.

Thanks for the info.

So why don't you just get a new CPU?

Luke

That's a possibility I guess. However, I think my chip i7-7700 was the most that my ASRock 110 could handle; so I would have to stick with that if they still sell it.

However, noting that the ASRock barebones with motherboard cost very little and the chip cost the most, and aware that something on the motherboard could be ready to crap out after 3 years, made more likely by the overheating and crashing and popping sounds that our current Intel graphics disaster is causing, I am tempted to...
Aug 31, 2020
Update: Last week I followed the instructions in this video, and it greatly reduced my BSOD events from several a day to a couple a week. (In Advanced Power Settings I changed the Wireless Adapter Setting to Maximum Power Savings, and I also turned off Windows Hibernation.)

Now, several times a day my video will go black for a few seconds and the audio will stutter, but instead of going to a BSOD, it will recover to normal operation.

I finally got another BSOD last night. The memory dump file is here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can review that and give some suggestions.

Luke

Sep 27, 2020
Hi. Is there any progress on this? Found this discussion because I also have an ASRock DeskMini that recently developed problems with Intel's igdkmd64.sys. But there is no discussion of it in the ASRock community forums. It's not particular to DeskMini.

The "powercgf -h off" idea appears in a couple of YouTube videos (with no explanation why it might help). It didn't work for me. Very indirect workaround anyway. Of course I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel Graphics device. Run Update Drivers. Run Microsoft Updates. Run the Intel Support & Assistant Tool. No good.

What's amazing is that this error, and specifically the idgkmd64.sys TDR_VIDEO BSOD, can be seen being discussed on microsoft.com and intel.com and various amateur hardware forums, with users and helpers going around in circles, and with no success. Year after year, with all sorts of hardware and video combinations. Windows is telling us what subset of the video drivers is causing the problem. And there no overwrite driver update or repair from Microsoft or Intel or the CPU websites for any specific instance of the problem, or a permanent resolution between Intel and Microsoft. And I can see that stupid file in 5 places on C:\ drive, and in the Display Drivers in Device Manager, but cannot do anything about it.

I found a June version (which is long before this problem began for me) of the relevant driver set somewhere on my DeskMini PC and installed that. Didn't fix it. Sometimes you cannot go back. To use my computer now, I must rush to Device Manager and Disable Intel Graphics before it crashes. Limits me to a single monitor and other deficiencies. Next computer will be the ASUS PN50 with an AMD chip and no Intel.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
Jay,

My system is gradually getting worse. I have also tried some of the fixes online, like disabling hibernation.

I've concluded that the graphics chip is failing, so I've ordered a replacement DeskMini barebones system.

Luke

Sep 27, 2020
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply. It has occurred to me that all the people reporting this error over the years may have been suffering an isolated hardware failure. If a driver release was crashing everyone, it would be fixed. I can't fix mine by rolling back. By the way, the latest Sep 23 Intel beta DCH video drivers don't fix it either.

As I understand it, the graphics hardware controller is actually integrated into the main CPU and not on separate chips on the motherboard. I don't know if we can just buy the same DeskMini barebones (assuming they sell it) and plug in our existing Intel chip and win. Mine is i7-7700 (7th gen). And the new DeskMini 310 expects Intel 8th and 9th gen chips.

I have that gnawing regret of rewarding failure, like every time I "upgrade" my iPhone because the only apps that I want stop working on the old one. It kills me that I may have to dump a magnificent DeskMini that works perfectly in every other respect. I don't make videos or run games, but I like spreading out my windows across two big monitors, which is for me a main advantage over the laptop.

My expert advises me that the two best minis obtainable near me now are the Intel NUC10i7FNH (10th Gen i7 Intel CPU), about 15% faster than my current DeskMini, or the ASUS PN50-BBR042MD (AMD Ryzen 5 A4700U), about 30% faster than my DeskMini and cheaper than the NUC. Both of these mean buying barebones plus a new chip. My SSD and 2 memory sticks should move from the DeskMini.

Of course, I'd rather just fix my DeskMini Intel video. It still projects great onto a single monitor provided I quickly Disable the Intel HD Graphics 630 as soon as I boot up.

Cheers,
Jay

Aug 31, 2020
Hi Jay,

Rats. I was told that the graphics is a separate chip on the mobo, but futher Googling shows that you're right. So now I need a CPU instead of another DeskMini.

Thanks for the info.

Luke

Sep 27, 2020
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the info.

Luke

That's a possibility I guess. However, I think my chip i7-7700 was the most that my ASRock 110 could handle; so I would have to stick with that if they still sell it.

However, noting that the ASRock barebones with motherboard cost very little and the chip cost the most, and aware that something on the motherboard could be ready to crap out after 3 years, made more likely by the overheating and crashing and popping sounds that our current Intel graphics disaster is causing, I am tempted to pay a bit more for a new box.

By buying a new box (incl motherboard), I won't add much to the cost, but I'll be able to buy the latest chip, and get something that runs silent and faster. The two listed seem to come with wifi and bluetooth already added and working, plus built-in microphone and better ports, and they'll feed 4 monitors if I want to add. Since the ASUS is faster and cheaper, I can also exercise my new prejudice against Intel and try the AMD Ryzen chip.

J

Solution