Question Help needed configuring both ASUS AC68u behind SonicWall TZ105

Aug 11, 2019
Hello crew, requesting help configuring both ASUS RT-AC68u behind SonicWall TZ105 (non-wireless version).

What I’m trying to achieve is putting the SonicWall tz105 (Firewall) in-front of my ASUS RT-AC68u to minimise intrusion into my AC68u and assist with malware protection throughout my network...

Your thoughts & assistance much appreciated,,,thanks.

Not sure what features you need on the sonicwall.

Firewalls are mostly used when you must allow access from the internet to some server. It is used to add a layer to protection to the servers defense. It allows the server to spend more of its cpu power on its actual function rather than defending against attacks.

In a home environment most firewalls do nothing more than the cheapest router. The NAT function provides almost all the protection you would need. Pretty much you traffic is only allowed to return to a internal machines that first talked to a external server. Any traffic coming in from unknown internet IP the NAT has no way to know which internal machine to send it to so it just discards it. That is pretty much all a fancy firewall is going to do.

Firewall manufacture are still selling the lie that they can do content filtering. They are extremely limited in their ability to see any traffic because almost all sites use encryption (ie https). There is no way to detect malware or virus or valid traffic flowing though these encrypted connections.

Malware and virus protection is always best done on the end device

Aug 11, 2019
Not in all cases, obviously the SonicWall is implemented into to a network for its for firewall\intrusion prevention systems to secure the network from attacks. So with the assistance of the SonicWall WOULD reduce and limit network intrusions.... that’s what’s its for.
In just needing help configuring the SonicWall in front of my wireless router for addition security,,,so help on the subject would be appreciated.

Generally if you do not know how to configure these devices you run the risk of misconfiguring it.

Your question is extremely basic which mean you will not even understand many of the advanced options the firewall has. You need to be very careful it easy to make a mistake on complex equipment like this.

But you have pretty much been told how to do this run the asus box as a AP. You are in effect just adding wifi radios to the firewall.

What I don't get is how you think it can protect against intrusion better than the router. The router blocks ALL unknown traffic coming into your network from the internet just because of the NAT. How can a firewall do better than blocking everything.

Aug 11, 2019
Wrong agin....!!!! Your not helping...
My question is not relating to firewall configuration (which is quite self explanatory and not difficult AT ALL).
MY QUESTION is relating to the configuration of a SonicWall TZ105 (Firewall-Router) in front of my RT-AC68u (wireless router) Not silly little objections blar blar....

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS