Question *Help needed* cpu thermal trip

May 25, 2021
I bought a used pc and i swapped everything with new parts except cpu and mobo i turned it on for installing os it after 5 min it turned off i thought windows was restarting for installation i waited for 20 minutes but no it doesn't restart so i turned it on again while booting it said cpu thermal trip so i cleaned the thermal paste and used it again and turned it on same issue again i even changed the heat sink issue is not solved checked the cmos and replaced psu replaced ram and i even rebuild the pc again but the issue is not solved
Specs
Cpu - pentium e5200
Mobo - intel dg31pr
Foxin heatsink
4gb (2×2)ddr2 ram
240gb ssd
Foxin 450w psu

lvt

Notable
Apr 19, 2021
it said cpu thermal trip
It means the CPU temperature is higher than the allowed range.

Make sure the thermal paste you used is a good one and check your heat-sink installation again, if the heat-sink doesn't sit straight on the CPU and properly secured, it can't help with cooling the CPU.

Reactions: Divin_3
May 25, 2021
It means the CPU temperature is higher than the allowed range.

Make sure the thermal paste you used is a good one and check your heat-sink installation again, if the heat-sink doesn't sit straight on the CPU and properly secured, it can't help with cooling the CPU.
I checket it its perfect and im using cooler master thermal paste

lvt

Notable
Apr 19, 2021
Nope... i dont have any other cpu okay but which Xeon CPU
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DG31PR.html

The Xeon are at the end of the list.

Someone says that Quad core should work but I can't speak about it without actually having tested, the Xeon are cheap now and should be able to give you a significant boost of performance (compared to the current E5200).

Last edited:
Reactions: Divin_3
May 25, 2021
That's good, I'm afraid that you still use the plastic pins which could pop out any time, and pressing the pins down usually bend the motherboard.
[/QUOTE
I changed the processor but issue is not solved it still shows cpu thermal trip is there any problem with the motherboard

avg9956

Commendable
Apr 7, 2019
Just a wild guess/suggestion since you've changed processors already - maybe there are bent CPU pins on the motherboard. See if there are any.

lvt

Notable
Apr 19, 2021
Alternatively, you can power off your PC, remove the motherboard's CMOS battery, it also help to initiate the Bios. If you can locate the Clear RTC pins, you can do it without removing the battery.

May 25, 2021
Alternatively, you can power off your PC, remove the motherboard's CMOS battery, it also help to initiate the Bios. If you can locate the Clear RTC pins, you can do it without removing the battery.
I have done this but it didn't help

May 25, 2021
OK so we have some possibilities

- The motherboard is defective.

- The thermal paste you used is trash.

Thermal paste also has expiration date, especially the cheap one.

Try another brand of thermal paste to see.
Guess i have to change the motherboard

May 25, 2021
OK so we have some possibilities

- The motherboard is defective.

- The thermal paste you used is trash.

Thermal paste also has expiration date, especially the cheap one.

Try another brand of thermal paste to see.
I have 20dollars for the motherboard

ASK THE COMMUNITY