Question Help needed - existing system rebuild

Mar 31, 2019
Help needed - probably easy!

So I built my son a new Ryzen 2700 rig and everything works perfect. The issue is I was going to take his old board (MSI H81M-E33 w/ I7-4790) and move it downstairs to replace our older pc with a much stronger setup... it worked perfect in my sons case and now the system doesn’t post.
At first I took the processor and put it back in the original system which was a dell inspiron 3847. The system wouldn’t boot and it seemed like the processor fan Was running slower that normal. Everything lit up ( fans, hd light, case power lift, etc) but no video or post. Fyi, using onboard video. Today I took the processor out of the dell system and put in aforementioned MSI board into a new cooler master case with a powerspec 80plus bronze psu. The system runs hard and the processor fan seems like it’s running at high speed and hard as hell.... again, no post. I have checked the video with vga and hdmi ( both boards have both). I’m using on board video for now....

Dead processor? I checked the ram individually in each slot... no beeps or posts. I appreciate everyone’s help and hope this could be an easy fix / idea...

Thanks 🙏

korv

Upstanding
Dec 26, 2018
No post? You should at least have gotten 'no cpu' error on your monitor. Your processor could be dead since you've have tried it on different motherboards. How old is the Ryzen 7 2700? Have you overcloked it to it's limits?