Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
computer.
I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
but have been told that the signal will not go that far.

Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.

Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.

Meggie

tellme wrote:

>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>computer.
>I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>
>Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>
>Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>
>Meggie

I put my wireless AP in the stairwell at about the height of the first
floor ceiling. Works for both floors fine.

tellme,
I bought a Belkin Pre-N wireless router, they claim it has 8 times the
distance and 6 times the speed of the 802.11b or 802.11g models. CompUSA had
the item. I have the router sitting on the basement floor and the laptop
works fine upstairs.
Paul

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
> computer.
> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>
> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>
> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>
> Meggie

Jim

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:41:38 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>computer.
>I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>
>Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>
>Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>
>Meggie

First off I'm no network guru but I've been doing wireless networking
in my home for about 4 or 5 years. Unless your home is unusual in
construction and the distance is unusually far from up to downstairs
I'd say a common brand router and pc card will work fine. It will
depend on your router and pc card primarily. Right now the "b" or "g"
is popular for the 802.11 wireless routers. The "g" is better speed
(between pc's which would be for moving files, not accessing the
internet) but not sure if its any better for distance. I have an
average home w/ 2 pc's upstairs and 2 pc's downstairs and the router
downstairs and they communicate fine all around. I'm using a "b"
wireless router currently. Probably "g" is the better choice now
based on pricing and performance but beware there are other protocols
too.

Just be sure that whatever and wherever you buy it, you can return it
without penalty and know how many days to do so. Go to a reputable
vendor, not necessarily the cheapest one. The better ones are more
supportive and have better return policies. I can suggest some
vendors that I like but I'm sure other people can add to this list.
I've used zipzoomfly.com , newegg.com, buy.com and dell.com and I
would use them again. Sometimes I use http://resellerratings.com/
to get the vendor's recent reputation and what other people's
experiences are with that vendor especially if I'm using the vendor
for the first time. For me, I'd rather pay a little more knowing I've
got a vendor with a good reputation. From my experiences, I find the
good ones are competitive in price tho may not be the cheapest
(sometimes they are).

SD

HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
computers are no good.

:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:39 GMT, "SD" <dddarkies@yahoo.com> wrote:

>HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
>computers are no good.

Boy you like to post but never reply so maybe you're a TROLL lurking
in this Dell newsgroup????

I replied to another post of yours but so far you don't seem to want
to address my legitimate questions. You just like to bad mouth Dell.
I have no problem bad mouthing Dell if you could tell us a little more
why you don't like them but you don't.

Blocked henceforth

In news:Llqqd.4686$M16.1798@fe1.columbus.rr.com,
SD <dddarkies@yahoo.com> opined very noisily:
> HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
> computers are no good.

Hmmmm --- hello " Dell Stinks" ( 3 post up/ down )
:-(
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

bluegoose

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
> computer.
> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>
> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>
> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>
> Meggie

Am I just too old fashioned to think anyone just runs a Cat-5e cable
anymore.
I haven't done anything with the wireless yet, I guess I like the
"hard-wire".

Bernie

SD

"Yddap" <yddap@spyentrailsmac.com> wrote in message
: In news:Llqqd.4686$M16.1798@fe1.columbus.rr.com,
: SD <dddarkies@yahoo.com> opined very noisily:
: > HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
: > computers are no good.
: >
: Hmmmm --- hello " Dell Stinks" ( 3 post up/ down )
: :-(
: --
:

Yeah, so what! Happy with your Dell? LOL.....Dell is trash!

SD

<jim> wrote in message news:chnkq0d0g42gk9reks8mas4knh7p1strhv@4ax.com...
: On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:39 GMT, "SD" <dddarkies@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
: >HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
: >computers are no good.
: >
: >
: >
:
: Boy you like to post but never reply so maybe you're a TROLL lurking
: in this Dell newsgroup????
:
: I replied to another post of yours but so far you don't seem to want
: to address my legitimate questions. You just like to bad mouth Dell.
: I have no problem bad mouthing Dell if you could tell us a little more
: why you don't like them but you don't.

The reply was made at 5:41pm. You need to either refresh your news reader
or read further into your own posts. Or, maybe the problem is that you own
a Dell?

Jim

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:05:09 GMT, "SD" <dddarkies@yahoo.com> wrote:

><jim> wrote in message news:chnkq0d0g42gk9reks8mas4knh7p1strhv@4ax.com...
>: On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:39 GMT, "SD" <dddarkies@yahoo.com> wrote:
>:
>: >HA! You'll be lucky if the DELL computers will go very far. Dell
>: >computers are no good.
>: >
>: >
>: >
>:
>: Boy you like to post but never reply so maybe you're a TROLL lurking
>: in this Dell newsgroup????
>:
>: I replied to another post of yours but so far you don't seem to want
>: to address my legitimate questions. You just like to bad mouth Dell.
>: I have no problem bad mouthing Dell if you could tell us a little more
>: why you don't like them but you don't.
>
>The reply was made at 5:41pm. You need to either refresh your news reader
>or read further into your own posts. Or, maybe the problem is that you own
>a Dell?

Actually it was a different post made earlier but it's a moot point
now because you replied appropriately. thanks.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Thanks, I will investigate that one.
I will have to put it in my office upstairs and the second computer is
in the downstairs bedroom on the opposite side of the house.

So I need a router and what else?

>tellme,
> I bought a Belkin Pre-N wireless router, they claim it has 8 times the
>distance and 6 times the speed of the 802.11b or 802.11g models. CompUSA had
>the item. I have the router sitting on the basement floor and the laptop
>works fine upstairs.
>Paul
>
>"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>> computer.
>> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>>
>> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>>
>> Meggie

tellme,
You'll need the wireless card that you mount via the PC Card slot in a
laptop or a PCI card you install in a desktop.

> Thanks, I will investigate that one.
> I will have to put it in my office upstairs and the second computer is
> in the downstairs bedroom on the opposite side of the house.
>
> So I need a router and what else?
>

>>tellme,
>> I bought a Belkin Pre-N wireless router, they claim it has 8 times the
>>distance and 6 times the speed of the 802.11b or 802.11g models. CompUSA
>>had
>>the item. I have the router sitting on the basement floor and the laptop
>>works fine upstairs.
>>Paul
>>
>>"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>>> computer.
>>> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>>> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>>> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>>>
>>> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>>> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>>>
>>> Meggie

there are lots of ways to network multiple computers in your home. you can
run cables from a central location to each desired computer location; the
down side to this is potentially unsightly wires. alternatively you can use
wireless connectivity, but there are constraints of distance and possible
reception problems (like that of a cordless phone). putting a base station
for a cordless phone in one location and seeing if the cordless handset
'reaches' the desired other location is a good test for the potential of
wireless network functionality. but there are also powerline and phone
network options... with powerline you get a gizmo that pugs into your
electrical outlet in one room and another to plug into another outlet in the
other room (only problem here is in large or old house that have multiple
electrical panels, both gizmos need to be on the same panel). the phone
network gizmos work the same but over phone lines. whatever method of
connection the various computers is used they all involve a thing called a
network hub (or a switch) where they are all connected together. if you
have a high speed internet connection (dsl or cable) then you will also want
a router which allows the one connection to be shared with multiple
computers. these days routers have hubs/switches embedded into them. some
routers additionally have wireless functionality built into them. there are
so many possible configurations that it can be mind boggling. have a look
at the linksys site for a good primer on your options (www.linksys.com and
click on 'educate me'). and don't limit yourself to what you see on store
shelves (who no longer seem to stock the powerline or phone network
alternatives... which are very effective and a better choice than wireless
in some circumstances). dell sells all the linksys products so you can use
your credit there to buy the stuff...

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
> computer.
> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>
> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>
> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>
> Meggie

cables are alive and well... still the most reliable and secure method for
connectivity. wireless avoids unsightly cables if the physical environment
and proximity don't prevent going this route... but some homes or apartment
buildings have issues with wireless (and i don't mean the security issue
with wireless as most users don't bother to secure their wireless networks).
before wireless there was phone networking and powerline networking both of
which use existing wires in your home to run a network on. slower than
using a dedicated network cable but faster than most wireless. in fact my
local electric company is starting to offer high speed internet service
delivered via an electrical outlet... wonder if their modem will require two
plugs one just one ;)

"Bluegoose" <bac2bac@comcast2004.net> wrote in message

> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>> computer.
>> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>>
>> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>>
>> Meggie

> Am I just too old fashioned to think anyone just runs a Cat-5e cable
> anymore.
> I haven't done anything with the wireless yet, I guess I like the
> "hard-wire".
>
> Bernie

"Bluegoose" <bac2bac@comcast2004.net> wrote in message

> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just got a one hundred gift to purchase anything I want for my
>> computer.
>> I have a new Dell Dimension and an older Dell desktop. I put the old
>> one downstairs and new is upstairs. I would like to network the two
>> but have been told that the signal will not go that far.
>>
>> Please if anyone would tell me exactly the parts that I need and what
>> to order and if it will work I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Obviously I am totally new to networking but not to pc's.
>>
>> Meggie

> Am I just too old fashioned to think anyone just runs a Cat-5e cable
> anymore.
> I haven't done anything with the wireless yet, I guess I like the
> "hard-wire".
>
> Bernie

Second that. We built a place last year and I had the entire house
hardwired Cat 5e.....

Stew

Tellme

Distinguished