Help Needed for Transferring Windows 10 to my new SSD

benjamin_johnsrud

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Ok so I JUST got a new SSD. The Samsung 850 evo 250GB. I would like to move my Windows 10 from my Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD to this new SSD. I have 900 some GB of data used on this HDD and obviously I can't transfer all that onto this 250GB drive. How would I just get the OS ONLY out of my HDD and to the SSD? Would I have to backup and delete everything off of the HDD except for the OS and then transfer? And if so how would I do it? Please help me. Thank you

CPU: Core i5 6600k @ 3.5ghz
Cooler: H100i v2
GPU: MSI Gaming 1060
MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB
PSU: EVGA 650w 80+ Full Modular

Solution

You'd probably be better off doing a clean install of windows on the SSD. I don't think the samsung data migration tool allows you to select certain partitions to copy over.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's not a buffet where you can pick and choose parts to clone. It's pretty much all or nothing. Sure, you could delete everything else off the hard drive and then clone after you get it under 250 GB, but that's an objectively worse solution than simply a fresh install on the SSD in the first place.

benjamin_johnsrud

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Okay. I would have to hook up a CD drive to my computer since that is all that I have for Windows 10. What would I do with the other drive which has the old Windows 10 on it? Would I have to somehow delete the OS off of there somehow before I add a second copy of it onto another drive? How would I keep all my files I had before? Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
If you need to uninstall/remove/delete that much from your current drive, you might as well just do a full OS install on the new drive.

For a clean install om the new drive:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Later, you reconnect the old drive
Copy whatever files you want from it. Files, not applications.
Then, you wipe that drive completely. This will probably involve diskpart at the commandline.

I'm assuming you have another computer up and running at the moment. If so then microsoft has a tool where you can install windows using a flashdrive, 4GB minimum. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once windows is installed, you can delete the old windows folder and use the HDD as a storage device, then just have the SSD for OS, programs. Why would you want to add a second copy of windows to the HDD when you'll be using the SSD for that?

Solution

benjamin_johnsrud

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

I don't. I would just like to know how to get rid of the Windows 10 that will be on my old HDD when I have it on the new SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Ideally, you wipe the entire drive.
Copy anything off it that you want, and wipe it.
The /clean command in diskpart at the Windows commandline will do that.
Leaving a completely blank drive.

benjamin_johnsrud

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

How do I "copy" everything off the drive? Is it just a simple copy and paste?

USAFRet

Titan

You don't copy "everything".
The only stuff that can be used is your personal docs.
Video, music, photos, etc.
Track all that down, and copy to elsewhere.

You'll have a whole new OS install on the new drive. You'll need to reinstall all your applications as well.

TRENDING THREADS