[SOLVED] Help needed installing Windows 10 onto a new NVMe SSD

Apr 21, 2020
Please can anyone help me with installing a new Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVME M.2 SSD into a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wifi motherboard.

I have been trying for 3 days now including prolonged phone calls to the MB and SSD supplier's tech lines and have not gotten anywhere!

I would especially be ken to hear from someone who has the same MB as to what settings I should have in the BIOS as the tech support have had me changing all sorts to the point I am "dazed and confused" to quote an old song LoL

I had initially spent 2 days trying to download the windows media creation tool which I finally managed only to boot into the setup pages and getting as far as to select where to install windows to. The problem is that no Drive is being detected and so we go into the BIOS to change settings that I am not sure even the "tech" new what was what. It got to the stage where I think he may have forgotten what had been changed etc and he also said to do things which were greyed out in the various sub menus.
As the drive was being seen in the BIOS and passing the self test in the BIOS I am assuming that it is seated correctly and functioning but I could be wrong, I didn't want to pull it if not required.

I am hoping that one of you super gurus can help with the problem as I will now be without the PC and the "tech" support until Monday if I cannot sort it through you guys.

If you have any suggestions they will be warmly welcomed, thanks guys
Cheers
Kev

For info the NVMe drive is a: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVME M.2 SSD

Solution
The default settings in the BIOS should be sufficient. If I were you, I'd 'load optimized defaults' in the BIOS (F5, I think?) and save/exit.

If the drive is showing up in the BIOS, you should be fine. This used to crop up on older boards from time to time, and required a USB3 driver. Shouldn't be necessary on X570 at all!!

Are you connected to your front panel USB? Or the motherboard?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The default settings in the BIOS should be sufficient. If I were you, I'd 'load optimized defaults' in the BIOS (F5, I think?) and save/exit.

If the drive is showing up in the BIOS, you should be fine. This used to crop up on older boards from time to time, and required a USB3 driver. Shouldn't be necessary on X570 at all!!

Solution
Apr 21, 2020

I am connecting on the rear (motherboard ) and have tried USB 3 and 2 ports. The M.2 card is showing in the BIOS it is just not being seen in the Windows setup process. I am sure there is a setting adrift somewhere in the BIOS but I have not got a clue which one!!

Cheers