Question Help needed - new graphics card not working properly

Oct 13, 2024
Hi!

I was hoping you could help with identyfying the cause of the problem? I've been trying to solve it myself for some time, but without any effect.

What I know, is that I get the errors when I test the graphics card, which is brand new. It might be possible that I bought the faulty one, but I also consider that some other components in my system are responsible for damaging the card.

That suspicion is caused by a very stupid thing I've done when this problem started - when I tried to upgrade my graphics card for the first time, I couldn't find a proper PCIE cable to connect the card to the power supply. So i used a random one. The effect was devastating - the cable literally melted, and the graphics card got completely fried. I turned off the power, and replaced the fried card with my old card, that did not need a power cable to work (Radeon RX 560 - drawing power only from motherboard). To my relief, the system was working correctly after that, so I assumed that the only loss is the fried graphics card.

Up to a time when I decided to upgrade my graphics card again. I bought a new card and installed in properly this time. It worked fine at first, but I soon discovered that it crashes when put under heavy load: as, for example, games. I was able to figure out that the system is working stable when used for mundane tasks (internet, movies, spreadsheets, etc.), its semi-stable when used to run non-demanding games (like city-builders, etc.), which means it runs properly for about 30 mins, and after that the artifacts starts appearing on screen and the program crashes soon after. When used to run very demanding games (like Witcher3, etc) it crashes after only few minutes.

I did some OCCT test to find the cause, but the results are confusing for me. First, the test for power configuration and VRAM finished with no errors. When watching monitoring parameters, I noticed the unusually high amount of GPU memory errors, but the VRAM test itself finished clear. This is how it looks like:

Memory-errors.png

It near-zero when system is idling or doing low-power jobs, like internet surfing, etc. The moment the game is launched the memory errors starts amassing and quickly rise to over half a million. They stop growing when the game is turned off. (as I mention before, the game itself can work properly regardless those errors for about half an hour. After that, it crashes).

And, at the same time, the VRAM test comes clear.... But knowing all this I also ran a 3D test, and it did show errors:

3-D-adaptive.png

So, this all leads to the confusion I have right now: the result shows that the graphic card is probably damaged, but I find it unlikely (but not impossible) that I bought the faulty one. I find it possible (or even probable) that some other component on my system is working improperly and damages the card. But no test I performed support that suspicion...

What shall I do now? Should I simply replace the current graphics card, or mayble there is some other way to test the rest of the system before I put the new card in and risk damaging it?

Oct 13, 2024
PSU is SilentiumPC Supremo M2 550W 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard is MSI B450-A Pro Max (MS07886)
BIOS version M.70
Graphic card is currently Sapphire radeon RX580 Nitro