[help needed] new water cooling kit resulted in dead cpu fans

stucash

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hi guys,

I have just got my new water cooling kit and set it up yesterday, after quite a few hours of tweaking to reduce the noise now it is reasonable. (although still make noise you can hear)

but very interesting though, after I plugged in my kit, my cpu fans stopped working, system fans are all fine. I have got 7 fans in my build and 5 of them connected through the CPU FAN port on mobo.

here is my specs:

CPU: I7 4790K
Graphic Card: GTX 960
RAM: 20 gig Corsair Vengeance
mobo: Gigybyte G5 Z97 Gaming
PSU: CM 600W
Water Cooling kit: XSPC X20 420 single bay res/pump, Lian Li HydrOC water block, PrimoChill Advance LRT Tubing, mayhems X1 coolant with kill coil.

before this WC kit I had a raijintek AIO kit which worked brilliantly (pump was small and integrated in the water block therefore you can't hear a noise while the performance was very good) and all my fans worked fine. I think that might be the ceiling for a 600W PSU: 7 Fans + Small WC kit+ other stuff.

I suspect it is because now I've got a much bigger pump which eats in too much power and the mobo power management (I'm making this up actually I don't if mobo has this thing) seemed clever enough that it turned off the fans for water cooling kit to work?

I really have no clue, before I go on spending 150 pounds for 1000w PSU (or do I Just need 850W?? ) i really appreciate and need your advices.

Thanks a lot guys!

Solution
If your fans connected to the cpu_fan header stopped working you may have too many fans on it. Especially if the new cooler fans have different voltage/power requirements (not all fans are the same) and added too much load for what the motherboard's fan header can support. Hopefully it didn't damage it. It's not due to the power supply, the gtx 960 doesn't require much power and neither do a few fans.

You can't just connect a dozen fans to one fan header though, it's a circuit on the mobo and can only handle so much per header. You might have to contact gigabyte and ask them a detail like that, what the max power delivery is for the cpu_fan header on that model board. Maybe try connecting the fans that aren't working one at a time to...

lodders

Admirable
If I had a 4790K with an overclock and a GTX960, I would be running with a fairly big air cooler on the processor, 2 or maybe 3 case fans, and a 550W power supply.
Unless your house is really hot, you don't need any more cooling than this.

stucash

Commendable
May 21, 2016

Thanks for the reply I guess what you are trying to say is my PSU is enough and given I've got 7 fans( 5 case fans and 2 radiator fans) and a water cooling for my 4790k I should be fine right?

If your fans connected to the cpu_fan header stopped working you may have too many fans on it. Especially if the new cooler fans have different voltage/power requirements (not all fans are the same) and added too much load for what the motherboard's fan header can support. Hopefully it didn't damage it. It's not due to the power supply, the gtx 960 doesn't require much power and neither do a few fans.

You can't just connect a dozen fans to one fan header though, it's a circuit on the mobo and can only handle so much per header. You might have to contact gigabyte and ask them a detail like that, what the max power delivery is for the cpu_fan header on that model board. Maybe try connecting the fans that aren't working one at a time to another fan header. Verify they work. Try just one fan on the cpu_fan header to see if it's still working. Otherwise you may have cooked it.

Solution