[SOLVED] help needed oc'ing ryzen 5 2600 + b450 aorus m

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
im finishing my first ryzen build an need some advice

my setup is the b450 aorus m + ryzen 5 2600 with 32gb of Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory 2nd set yet to be installed

but after boot up i cant seem to change the setting in bios when i click on auto to go manual it dosent do anything ,i recently saw a youtube where somone showed that clicking on the desired values to change an just type them in an hit enter, can you advise an confirm this iv yet to try

an if it does work whats the best oc clock an voltage to push to 3.7ghz

im using

a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120

an Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad – Alternative to Thermal Paste/Grease (40 X 40mm

an a Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM in the pull config with two Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM as top exhast to my corsair 275R Airflow case

363160.3b00622be22a7f972e9dcc3c50a1390f.1600.jpg

but i cant seem to change the setting in bios clicking on auto to go manual dont do anything ,i recently saw a youtube where somone showed that clicking on the desired values to change an just type them in can you advise an confirm this iv yet to try

an if it does work whats the best oc clock an voltage to push to 3.7ghz
im using

a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120

an Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad – Alternative to Thermal Paste/Grease (40 X 40mm

an a Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM in the pull config with two Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM as top exhast to my corsair 275R Airflow case

363160.787d4ad17fa092e6085096110ea5c9a7.1600.jpg

an to any who can advise me on further bios setting that im using ,should be using or not or havent used that i should be please forgive the not spartin screen shots

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NmFFY25QbWVxRmlkaUxuYWwtblVPMHJZVmJyaER3

Last edited:
Solution
The B450 m is not an overclocking motherboard...it has a relatively weak VRM and if pushed too hard without active cooling directly on the VRM it may thermal throttle your cpu.

You'll likely get just as good results by simply running with PBO on, focusing on tightening your ram timings as tight as possible, and improving your CPU cooling since a 120mm AIO isn't really up to overclocking either.
The B450 m is not an overclocking motherboard...it has a relatively weak VRM and if pushed too hard without active cooling directly on the VRM it may thermal throttle your cpu.

You'll likely get just as good results by simply running with PBO on, focusing on tightening your ram timings as tight as possible, and improving your CPU cooling since a 120mm AIO isn't really up to overclocking either.

Solution
I never use the mouse in BIOS. I have a similar B450 board, actually a weaker version of the gigabyte. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select what you want, then use +/- keys to increase or decrease parameter. Don't worry about the weak VRMs. Ryzen always reaches the silicon limit before you reach VRM limit when overclocking. Burning VRMs was a problem with older AMD platforms, not Ryzen. You can direct a fan over them if you don't like them heating up so much.

As far as your 120mm AIO, you'll have to try and see how it performs. You might just need to run your radiator fan a bit harder. When it comes to the chips of today (CPU or GPU) it's getting the heat from the silicon to the cold plate which is always the limiting factor because of how dense transistors are packed in nowadays. A larger radiator will keep coolant cooler, but the general formula is that you want 120mm of radiator for every 100w of TDP, meaning that you should be alright for that CPU even when overclocked.

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Id like a starting point for stable OC'ING 32GB OF Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4W two sets of 2x 8gb ON AORUS B45 M with the 2600

regarding timings an voltages

on my current ive now got 32gb of Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz set to 1.35volts
no custom timings or x.m.p an on the r5 2600 ive currently oc'ed to 3.8ghz with no turbo an a tweaked voltage of
+.246v on vcore an +246v on the dvid ( i dont know if either is set right please let me know ) it seems stable on pop_os running with an idle avg of 32c in a 72deg room

with the GTKStressTesting software i ran all the tests offered in the auto option for an 1hr straight in a 72deg room
with an avg peak temp of 52c while on the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120 with a Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM in pull config with a Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad - Alternative to Thermal Paste/Grease applied in my corsair 275 case with 3 Noctua NF-F12 intakes an 2 Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 top exhaust

id like to oc my ram but have no idea how much i could or should what do you guys think i should shot for

anyone whos got my mobo cpu an ram an similar or same aio whos oc a stable ramp of the cpu an ram by an extra 15 to 20%

please advise your clocks ,timing settings ,voltages an advice

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen, not an intel. They don't work the same, use ram the same, or OC the same. Ryzens really are not designed for static OC values, they are a dynamic cpu that will boost according to voltages and temps and loads. They'll boost the cores as high as they feel is warranted, and only the cores being used, which lowers overall cpu temps.

You'll get higher boosts leaving the cpu as dynamic than trying to set a static OC.

I'd recommend looking into dram calculator and clocktuner2 and letting your Ryzen behave like a Ryzen should. Not the way you assume it should, like an intel.

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
It's a Ryzen, not an intel. They don't work the same, use ram the same, or OC the same. Ryzens really are not designed for static OC values, they are a dynamic cpu that will boost according to voltages and temps and loads. They'll boost the cores as high as they feel is warranted, and only the cores being used, which lowers overall cpu temps.

You'll get higher boosts leaving the cpu as dynamic than trying to set a static OC.

I'd recommend looking into dram calculator and clocktuner2 and letting your Ryzen behave like a Ryzen should. Not the way you assume it should, like an intel.
my chosen set voltages of +.246v on vcore an +246v on the dvid on a 3.8ghz oc does that sound right in what does the dvid refer to an if im not using turbo do i even need it
an how do i set a negitive value

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vcore is what the cpu demands from the VRM's and says that's what it will need. SVI2 is what the cpu actually uses. VID is what the VRM's actually supply. LLC is added voltage to take care of possible vdrop in the space between when the cpu wants voltage and the motherboard supplies it.

So the whole trick to OC is to get the maximum speed the temps can handle, while streamlining the cpu-voltage requirements. Too much voltage raises temps, which lowers speeds, too little voltage increases instability. Wrong combination of voltages creates instability.

VID needs to be high enough to supply vcore and LLC combined. VID too high sends too much voltage, allows the cpu to demand more, doesn't necessarily need more, so ends up jacking up the temps for nothing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's the thing. Ppl burned out earlier processors doing a OC, because the cpu was boosting cores and using upto 1.5v, so they maxed cores at 1.4v thinking they were safe. They weren't. Later, that was dropped again and ppl started saying 1.325v max for all core.. But some still had issues. I'm running a 3700x and VID is set to 1.252v for all core at 4.2GHz, 1.28v for multi core (varies between 1 and upto 6 cores) at 4.4GHz (cpu max) and below 18% cpu, it just runs stock values.

This gives me idle temps and load situations, gaming boosts to max, but relaxes stress for renders etc. Still get 5000 on cinebench R20.

I can't see the point in a static OC on a dynamic cpu, better to fine tune the boost to get what you want out of it, and still get the other benefits Ryzen offers. You aren't going to use every thread, even gaming and streaming. OC to those threads is wasted heat.

TRENDING THREADS