[SOLVED] Help needed... Open loop liquid cooling drain and flush

batistanald

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Hi guys,
I've never done any maintenance for the last 3 years concerning the water cooling system, which I really regret now.

Recently I've found out my desktop is getting strange noises, and, just yesterday I did a CPU temperature monitoring... the temp. of my CPU went up to 70c max. occasionally even when I left it idle. It went up to 90c more when I was running the game, see the value I've captured: ( https://ibb.co/TrBZhkF)
IMG-5474.jpg

For the GPU, it goes up to 95c when I just opened the state of decay 2 and went through the save loading section..

To make things worse... I've found some dark things and particles inside the tubes, which I suspect they are the broken parts from the foam inside the reservoir... I've here attached a picture for better description. ( https://ibb.co/S5sVj5d )
IMG-5462.jpg

I've been watching videos from utube explaining how to drain and flush the water cooling with the drain valve installed. But for my case, I have NONE.. I really wanna seek for advices from you guys how should I proceed with this maintenance.

Also, will it be possible to install back the valve at this stage, with all the liquid coolant still inside the tubes and reservoir?

Thank you so much for helping!!

Last edited:
Solution
Maybe that could be answer? Can pump be disconnect or partially disconnect enough for you to drain it and install a drain fitting in base? Reconnect and then you can drain rest of system? Would be careful and use the scott shop towels from wallyworlds to catch drips if any from disconects while doing this. Maybe the good idea to install the permanent drain for future cleans.

You system sounds like might need taken aparts and clean by hand if plates are all gunk up.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Maybe that could be answer? Can pump be disconnect or partially disconnect enough for you to drain it and install a drain fitting in base? Reconnect and then you can drain rest of system? Would be careful and use the scott shop towels from wallyworlds to catch drips if any from disconects while doing this. Maybe the good idea to install the permanent drain for future cleans.

You system sounds like might need taken aparts and clean by hand if plates are all gunk up.

Reactions: batistanald
Solution

batistanald

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017

Thank you so much.. honestly I'm a newbie in water cooling system so..

I wonder why I have so much white crystalized powder inside the CPU cooling cover... strange.