[SOLVED] Help needed please! trying to install windows 10 but no drive is detected, can't install driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2021
Hello guys, I'm stuck.
I got a new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05), trying to install windows 10, chose Custom installation but no drive is showing. while trying to manually select drivers (that I'm not even sure are the right ones) it says that it doesn't find any drivers.
I've tried using CMD -> diskpart -> list disk = No drive has been found.
The thing is, on BIOS it does recognize the SSD (samsung mzalq256hajd-000l2 nvme ssd).

I'm clueless, if anyone can help me understand what's the issue I'll be more than happy.
Have a great day.

Solution
It had no OS installed- none at all
How are you trying to install this?
How did you create the USB to install with?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
New laptops should come with Windows 10 already installed. If you are upgrading the computer, resetting it, or installing a new drive, create a bootable USB flash drive using this guide: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/creating-a-windows-10-boot-drive-is-really-simple-heres-how/

Edit:

Try this as first probably:

When you turn on the laptop, does it boot to the Windows desktop or do nothing? If you can login, do the following:

1. Right click the Windows logo on the taskbar
  2. Click ‘Disk Management’
  3. Right click the SSD Drive from the list of drives. If you need help determining which one to click, take a screenshot or photo and share a link to it.
  4. From the box that appears, click delete volume (if applicable).
  5. After a few seconds, right click the SDD drive again. From the box that appears, click on ‘New Simple Volume’ - a new window should appear
  6. Click ‘Next’ 4 times then ‘Finish’ once. Try my first suggestion again.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys, I'm stuck.
I got a new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05), trying to install windows 10, chose Custom installation but no drive is showing. while trying to manually select drivers (that I'm not even sure are the right ones) it says that it doesn't find any drivers.
The thing is, on BIOS it does recognize the SSD (samsung mzalq256hajd-000l2 nvme ssd).

I'm clueless, if anyone can help me understand what's the issue I'll be more than happy.
Have a great day.
What OS was on this when it was delivered?

Jan 31, 2021
I have a bootable flash drive (which I've already used successfully in the past) but when I get to the drive selection it doesn't show any options to choose from.
as I said, tried CMD -> diskpart -> list disk And the only drive (drive 0) that it detects is the flash drive I'm using to install the OS, it doesn't detect the laptop's SSD

USAFRet

Titan
It had no OS installed- none at all

Solution
Jan 26, 2021
Hello guys, I'm stuck.

Have a great day.
Was this bought directly from the manufacturer or an authorized retailer?

Jan 31, 2021
Does anyone knows a way I can make the Drive visible so I can choose it as the destination for the Windows installation?
It is recognized in BIOS but the windows setup wizard doesn't recognize it. What driver should I try to install?

Jan 26, 2021
An authorized retailer.
also, not sure if its related, but the mouse pad doesn't work. I use the keyboard to navigate.
Hmm, Lenovo doesn't sell or release laptops without an OS to general consumers, there's a chance it was some type of return/open box or that the drive is a lemon. Either way, personally I would recommend returning it to where you purchased it and exchange it.

Jan 31, 2021
Hmm, Lenovo doesn't sell or release laptops without an OS to general consumers, there's a chance it was some type of return/open box or that the drive is a lemon. Either way, personally I would recommend returning it to where you purchased it and exchange it.
what does "a lemon" mean? :)

Jan 31, 2021

I think I made it using RUFUS

Jan 26, 2021
I get the following message:
"We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver."
If there are issues out of the box, the best course is to go ahead and exchange it. There is a chance that there are faulty components and it would be simpler to just exchange instead of RMAing it and not having it for several weeks.

A lemon is something that is substandard than what it should be, in the US there is a law that protects consumers and its referred to as the lemon law.

I'll try that, but if anyone has an idea please do tell.
Check BIOS of your laptop.
Make sure sata controller mode is set to AHCI(and not Intel RST).
Also make sure secure boot is set to disabled.

Also - you can try loading nvme drivers.
You can get them from Gigabyte windows USB installation tool zip archive.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1
located under \StorageControllers\Intel_NVMe\Driver64​

Jan 31, 2021
Check BIOS of your laptop.
Make sure sata controller mode is set to AHCI(and not Intel RST).
Also make sure secure boot is set to disabled.

Also - you can try loading nvme drivers.
You can get them from Gigabyte windows USB installation tool zip archive.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1
located under \StorageControllers\Intel_NVMe\Driver64​
I don't find an option like that. I've Disabled Secure Boot if it's related.
My BIOS Version FHCN21WW

Jan 31, 2021
I've tried consulting with an IT friend, he told me what you guys have told me- I'll speak with the company tomorrow and ask for a replacement, probably a faulty hardware.

Thank you very very much for trying to help me guys!
I really do appreciate it.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Feb 27, 2021
I've tried consulting with an IT friend, he told me what you guys have told me- I'll speak with the company tomorrow and ask for a replacement, probably a faulty hardware.

Thank you very very much for trying to help me guys!
I really do appreciate it.

First excuse me for my English, I am from Colombia and I speak Spanish.

The pc does not have any hardware problem, what happened is that it was asking for the SSD drivers so that the installer would detect it and be able to install the system.

Solution: download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver, unzip it on the pc and paste the folder onto the USB, and when it asks you to find the drivers, look for the folder and that's it

Reactions: snaprenderfarm
Status
Not open for further replies.