Help needed quickly! Problem with AMD Phenom running way below clock.

Sep 18, 2017
Hi, I'm building a PC for a friend and he has spend some money on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 to upgrade his AM2+ motherboard that supports AM3 processors.

Since installing the CPU, I noticed in the BIOS it was running at 0.8ghz, and then in task manager it said 0.8ghz as well. Not being throttled, that's its max speed! It's not just showing up as that, it is actually running at that speed as it got an abysmal score on Cinebench r15.

I have tried it on a real AM3 motherboard, I have checked to see if there are bent pins, washed the CPU and tried various other things. Nothing.

He paid nearly £30 for this and I do not want to let him down.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
That means the cpu may has problem. Like the prior owner did kill the cpu by ocing too much. May return it, if your friend can.
AMD Phenom II X4 965? Which one? because there are two versions: Phenom II X4 965 ( non BE) has 125W TDP, other Phenom II X4 965 BE has 140W TDP.

Because you didn't list what MB your friend had. So check that MB cpu support list, make sure the MB can support 140W or 125W cpu. I think the MB can't support the high TDP cpu. Or the cpu has problem.

Sep 18, 2017

Hi, thanks for answering, but I have tried it on 2 different motherboards with 800mhz on both. Both versions of the Phenom are supported on both motherboards. Is there anything you would recommend trying? Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS