Question Help Needed - RAM XMP Profiles for ASUS Maximus XI Hero MOBO Error and BSOD with GSkill TridentZ RGB Ram

Jul 14, 2018
Hardware Community, I am reaching out to you all for help as my dealings with working with ASUS, GSkill, and NZXT have not gotten me anywhere. They all have attempted to help but no solutions have worked.

Let me list out my hardware first:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Hero Wifi AC
Processor: I9 9900K
Case: NZXT H700I
CPU Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000w Platinum
Video Card: Zotac Geforce RTX 2080 TI AMP
RAM: GSkill TridentZ RGB 32gb (4x8gb) 3600mhz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

My issue is that my PC will BSOD whenever I put my UEFI on XMP 1 or XMP 2 profiles. I do not have my processor overclocked. My system will work fine on default/auto UEFI selection. I have up to date BIOS versions.

I have run MemTest analysis on all 3 settings. I get 0 errors on auto/default settings. I get multiple errors on XMP1 (ASUS XMP Settings) and XMP 2 (DIMM XMP Settings). I do not know how to read the MemTest results or understand what the errors mean.

I purchased my computer in Dec2018, i have had the MOBO replaced once and the RAM swapped 3 times already. I have the same issues. I am wondering, even though the MOBO QVL lists the GSkill TridentZ RGB as compatible, that there is a sync/comparability issue when using XMP or even manual RAM default settings.

I do not believe this is a hardware issue here but a programming issue on Asus/GSkills part.

If any of you can help or possible determine the issue based on the MemTest64 results, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 5, 2019
Don't get me wrong, but I had the same issues using G.SKILL RAM in my most recent build. If you did not buy the "Quad Pack" and decided to just go with 2 sets of 16GB that might be your problem right there. Take two of those sticks out (Make sure they are from the same package) and see if you can get it to boot without making any adjustments to XMP or DOCP (you're intel, right)

Turns out that GSKILL will only guarantee that 2 of their sticks will work (After you check THEIR QVL as well as the MOBO QVL) I had the same setup you have 4x8gb sticks - they just wouldn't work - though the QVLS from both companies have different RAMS.

I couldn't be bothered anymore - I ended up getting T-DELTA DDR4 3000MHZ 2x16 - set the DOCP - no issues.

Jul 14, 2018
I am not sure because I got the RAM through BLD by NZXT. ASUS did day this could be a problem. The serial numbers are in sequence but I’m sure BLD buys in bulk and the main set ups are in two set and not quad set, set ups. I will try with two sticks and see what happens.

Mar 5, 2019
I was also able to get all 4 sticks running but only at 3000 and it was not stable, it would run fine for awhile but as soon as I stressed it with anything (aida, prime, 3dmark) it crashed. I contacted G.Skill and went back and forth over and over and finally just got fed up. I never had an issue with a 4dimm mobo running 2 sets just as long as the two that came in each set were in the right slots, but I guess OC ram is a different story.