Help needed really badly!

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Okay, so I just assembled my first gaming pc ever and installed windows 7 64bit on it and it was working flawlesly I had not yet put the GPU on place and I was installing drivers and antivirus stuff then I clicked on the Install windows updates and turn off and it started installing (69 updates in total) meanwhile I had gone eating pizza with my friend and when we came back the PC was shut down naturally so I thought that now I could install the gaming GPU while it's turned off and then download all the drivers for it so I pluged the psu off the socket and opened the case and inserted the GPU on it's place and pluged two eight pin PSU connectors to it then pushed the on off switch and tadaa nothing happened. I got really scared and took the gpu off again and tried to turn it on with just the integrated graphichs and same thing: nada. Now I have tried everything I could find on the web I tested the PSU with the paperclip trick and it came alive but when I connect the power connectors to the mobo nothing then I tried shorting the Power switch pins on the mobo and taking ram off. I'm really frustrated because the pc cost me over 800€ and I worked hard for the money. :'(
Specs
Z97m anniversary MATX mobo
Intel I5 4690k cpu
Corsair sv650 watt psu
Crucial ballistix sport 8gb ram
Evo tx3 cpu cooler
Seagate 1tb hdd
Samsung optical drive
Fractal Design core 1100 case
R9 290 tri x GPU
I really was looking forward to playing Witcher 3 tonight...
Oh and I was being carefull with static electricity the whole time

Solution
Hi,

1) It is NOT the graphics card since it doesn't work when you remove that.

2) Unlikely the CPU since the problem happened when you attached power to video card.

3) Most likely suspect is POWER SUPPLY.

4) Second most likely suspect is MOTHERBOARD.

5) Easiest component to swap is POWER SUPPLY.

Any ATX power supply will do since you want to just test basic functionality without a graphics card. As long as it's a modern 24-pin (or 20+4-pin) you should be fine.

Not sure if you can borrow.

DOA?
There's no warranty requirement to lie and say DOA as you did nothing wrong. If you can find out if it's the power supply (by swapping another one) then simply explain exactly what happened (failed while building PC. Tried a different PSU...

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

it seems that your motherboard died
are the fans turning?

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

It just seems so unlikely because It was working without any problems just before that and it should be a quality basic board and my dad who works with computers was doubting that anything broke when I asked him what could it be he said that it probably was because of windows and I should have first turned it on without the GPU because windows was still configuring the updates but i really don't have any idea... And no nothing happens when I try to power it on.

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Oh yeah I could do that but I really wouldn't want to send it back to germany cause it's going to take soooo long for me to finally get it working again and I'm really afraid that something might have happened to my cpu or gpu :(

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

My dad is probably going to take the pc to his workplace and have his workmate have a look since he is a bit more in to the hardware stuff and I might take it to a pc store of some kind to have the diagnose the problem. So depressing that I thought I'd finally get to have some serious gaming and now it's as good as a brick...

p_nut_uk

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Don't despair, it's likely just the one component. :)

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Just hope its not the CPU or the GPU :/ Thank you anyways!

Hi,

1) It is NOT the graphics card since it doesn't work when you remove that.

2) Unlikely the CPU since the problem happened when you attached power to video card.

3) Most likely suspect is POWER SUPPLY.

4) Second most likely suspect is MOTHERBOARD.

5) Easiest component to swap is POWER SUPPLY.

Any ATX power supply will do since you want to just test basic functionality without a graphics card. As long as it's a modern 24-pin (or 20+4-pin) you should be fine.

Not sure if you can borrow.

DOA?
There's no warranty requirement to lie and say DOA as you did nothing wrong. If you can find out if it's the power supply (by swapping another one) then simply explain exactly what happened (failed while building PC. Tried a different PSU and it worked).

The motherboard is more of a process of elimination but in general you usually get lights if the power supply is working properly even if the CPU is dead (in fact there are lights to indicate which components are problematic but it depends on the motherboard how extensive that is).

Summary:
- swap PSU for compatible ATX to test
- not DOA, but died while building
- if motherboard suspect (test PSU first) contact Tech Support prior to RMA

Solution
Theory:
I suspect the power supply had a manufacturing defect then simply failed with the small additional load to the graphics card.

The paper clip trick doesn't prove it works under load.

Aside from trying the new PSU in a different system or different PSU in the same system there's no easy way to prove it is the power supply at fault.

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

But could it be the PSU I just tried the paperclip test and connected a case fan with a molex adapter to it and it powered up but on the MOBO nothing happens. :/

"But could it be the PSU I just tried the paperclip test and connected a case fan with a molex adapter to it and it powered up but on the MOBO nothing happens."

That's insufficient load to prove one way or the other. I'm not saying it definitely is the power supply but at this point your main choices are swap the PSU or swap the motherboard.

You can try to RMA the motherboard but that will take weeks and may not be the problem. Same for the PSU.

You can try Tech Support for both of course but not sure what they'll suggest that I haven't.

*Basically at this point if you can get an inexpensive ATX power supply or better yet BORROW one that you know works (anything compatible should work fine if testing without graphics card) that's still my best advice.

Other:
It occurs to me you can ask Tech Support for the power supply though I'd be surprised if they tell you the paper clip or same test with only a single fan proves anything aside from it at least partially working.

Go ahead and contact the PSU and motherboard companies Tech Support regardless but keep your points as clear and simple as possible like:

Building new system. Had power to motherboard. Added graphics card. No power. Remove graphics card. No power now. Tried paper clip test on PSU and that passed.

Verttisaac

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Sorry for the late answer. I tested the PSU on my very old pc motherboard that had a cordless old GPU, RAM and CPU connected and the Mobo powered up so now I am almost 100% certain that my Mobo failed on me.