Help needed regarding frequent BSODs and GPU problem?

May 10, 2018
Hey Toms's Hardware people, I bought a full on PC with a new boxed Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 580 (not XTR) GPU last week and I have been encountering frequent problems with it. First of all I have installed the latest 18.5.1 driver of GPU and running Windows 10 1709 version with all drivers properly installed and I have not OC'd anything.

Now regarding the problem, First of all I can see that the GPU is not performing up to its potential (Getting only 35 FPS average on FC5 on ULTRA and also HIGH) and the second thing is that the GPU is constantly getting hot while playing these titles (Temps remain in 75-77 degree celcius average and I also got sufficient fans on my case '4 intake and 1 outward' ) and when I ALT+TAB during this cases, to Event Viewer I see a warning log saying "Video memory resources are over utilized and thrashing is happening as a result" (I do not even keep anything open while I play games and I got 16 gigs of G skill Tridentz RAM), So here goes the GPU problem.

Now regarding the BSOD problem, when I see the above symptoms but still keep on playing a BSOD appears saying just "System Thread Exception Not Handled" (and says nothing else like in the bracket igdkmd64.sys) so I cant even say if this is a driver problem. And regarding the CPU temps, it remains in 36 degree celcius in idle and around 52 degree celcius in load. So any solution regarding these problems?

SPECS:
Asus B350F ROG Strix Motherboard
Thermaltake Smart SE 730W PSU
16 gigs Tridentz RAM
Ripjaws 120 GB SSD
Two Toshiba HDDs

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Baizid

May 10, 2018

Dude ran memtest 86 for four hours straight and found no errors.

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
May 10, 2018

Dude I tried with one stick and also by swapping them as you asked but still found no errors whatsoever except the same previous one where when I try to play titles like FC5 AC origins etc, after 10 minutes or so, my event viewer gives a warning saying "Video memory resources are over utilized and thrashing is happening as a result" (But I do not have anything running in the background) and after another 10 minutes or so the BSOD comes.

So any chance the problem's related to the graphical memory?

And I am quite sure my CPU (RYZEN 1600) is not bottlenecking the GPU.

O and occasionally I get these artifacts also on the screen https://imgur.com/a/Rwc7mnx and when these artifacts come the PC freezes and a high pitched noise comes from speakers (sometimes the screen turns green) and I have to hard reset it. So are these GPU memory issues or RAM issues or any other issues?

May 10, 2018

That's the problem, I have no other rigs in which I can test the GPU (and neither of my friends own a PSU capable of running the GPU) and though I can RMA it but the store I bought it from in my country requires proof to RMA it. So dude please help me out on this one and if you can please inform me what is the actual problem that I'm having or else the store I bought it from wouldn't even let me RMA it. And also the tech guys in the store I bought it from are somewhat dumb as when I reported them the same problem they said "IT WAS DUE TO PLAYING GAMES???":pt1cable:
So you have a hint what salesman guys I have to deal with, so please dude could you please even give me an idea what could be malfunctioning in my rig?

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Dont you have any friend with a working GPU ? Or a some old one ? >D
Just test your rig with a different GPU.

If you have a proof that you bought it in a shop and its under warranty then they MUST(According to EU law) take it send it to distributor and then distributor sents it to manufacturer or some repair service(Of course that where they sent it depends on contracts between them) which after a check if its failing they're sending you a new one and this goes to refurbishment line (That how it looks in most cases).
EU law : https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

May 10, 2018

Ok dude will try to RMA it. And will test with with a GT 730 (I have a spare one).

May 10, 2018
Finally found the problem after many trials and errors, looks like the problem was happening due to my third party ANTIVIRUS. The antivirus locked certain system drives for ransomware protection thus graphics drivers and other drivers crashed frequently. After uninstalling it, it works like a charm. As an added measure I have also disabled Windows Defender. I still get those artifacting, but after changing my cables it is much less frequent now (only 1 time over 2 weeks) and it looks like it only happens when using apps with Hardware Acceleration. After disabling Hardware Acceleration in those apps the artifacting are much much rare now. I have also upped the GPU timings in the Registry Editor so that Windows wont ever terminate a GPU program which is taking much time to respond..

All in all thanks for all the help guys!!