Build Advice (HELP NEEDED) RETRO ATX SLEEPER BUILD

Nov 28, 2020
Hello all! Recently I had the crazy idea of building a sleeper PC and as it goes, it seems like a brilliant idea on paper. However, I have also become quite nervous to execute this plan. I have already purchased the case for this build as well as the motherboard.
The case I chose is a custom built vintage/retro ATX style remake (eBay) and the motherboard I have acquired is an Asus Prime A320M-K.
I am definitely a little bit stuck and would love to hear what help the community can offer me.

Hardware:
ASUS Prime A320M-K - Bought

AMD RYZEN 5 (Not sure what is compatible with my chipset - suggestions?)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
__

Any ideas are most appreciated!

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, this sound like a very cool idea and I would be happy to help with this project. The cpu you would want to get for this board would be a ryzen 5 3000 series so maybe a 3600 or 3600xt. Can you give me a link to the case so I can see what it looks like and the space in it is like?

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
For this case I would recommend getting a PSU with a bigger fan in it 120mm - 140mm to act as a case fan and when you get all the components try experimenting with having the case fan as an exhaust and as an intake because this case appears to not have the greatest airflow but if you put the rear case fan as intake it might help cool the pc down. I would also recommend a blower graphics card so that the heat is pushed out of the case and not just exhausted into the case. Also I cannot tell if there is a fan mount or a speaker mount on the bottom of the front of the case inside. If it is a fan mount, that would be good because it would help airflow.

Nov 28, 2020
I think a pcie fan would also help with the cooling. If you cant get a blower fan (I have looked and at least for me they are very hard to get) you could get one of these https://www.amazon.ca/GDSTIME-Graph...eywords=pci+slot+cooler&qid=1606626351&sr=8-4 as they could help circulate the hot air around the case and out along with the case fan exhausting
With the PCU, I currently own a CIT FX Pro 700W 80 Plus Bronze 140MM and the case i dont mind modifying it to have better airflow and extra mounting points for fans/radiators.
The cooling fans in the link you sent me are rather strange indeed, ive never seen anything quite like these due to water cooling being the most popular.
As for the GPU, I dont know if i should go for Nvidia or AMD.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
That PSU should be fine as it as a 140mm fan which will help with airflow. As for the fans, this is if you wanted to do all air cooling and I have never watercooled anything so I would not be alot to help you with the watercooling aspects if you decided to do that. As for the gpu, It doesn't really matter which brand you get as gpu stocks are wild right now, so I would say go for one with the power you need just try to get a blower card or get the pcie fans for a normal non-blower card. If you are doing watercooling to the gpu the I will not be able to help you there.

For airflow, opening the optical or HDD covers would really help airflow but would also not look as good and then you have a hole into your pc. Taking out the extra pci slot covers would also help if you had good airflow behind your pc and it wasn't just sucking in the hot air it just put out.

Nov 28, 2020
That PSU should be fine as it as a 140mm fan which will help with airflow. As for the fans, this is if you wanted to do all air cooling and I have never watercooled anything so I would not be alot to help you with the watercooling aspects if you decided to do that. As for the gpu, It doesn't really matter which brand you get as gpu stocks are wild right now, so I would say go for one with the power you need just try to get a blower card or get the pcie fans for a normal non-blower card. If you are doing watercooling to the gpu the I will not be able to help you there.

For airflow, opening the optical or HDD covers would really help airflow but would also not look as good and then you have a hole into your pc. Taking out the extra pci slot covers would also help if you had good airflow behind your pc and it wasn't just sucking in the hot air it just put out.
Removing the HDD Covers was one of the options I had initially thought of and as a solution to the gaping hole in the front, custom dust filtered meshing. This project has only just begun and I cannot wit to get the CPU to start testing. The case is currently in transit to my home so i will be able to map it all out in the case soon but for now, drawings and lists are all i have, hense why ive come to this forum. With The CPU, you recommended the 3600XT? I must say im a little sceptical about it as the A320M-K Chipset didn't support AMD's 3000 series processors till a bios update was released, but if it turns out that it does work, it will be all i need for a sleeper

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
This board is ryzen 3000 compatiable because they update the bios at asus when the cpus come out and I am pretty sure I have done ryzen 3 3200g builds with this board and it works fine. For this I would recommend the 3600X since the xt has very little more performance and costs more and the 3600x works with the same 4801 bios the 3200g requires which worked for me and the xt verison requires a more up to date bios which should still work but I would recommend the 3600x just in case.

Nov 28, 2020
This board is ryzen 3000 compatiable because they update the bios at asus when the cpus come out and I am pretty sure I have done ryzen 3 3200g builds with this board and it works fine. For this I would recommend the 3600X since the xt has very little more performance and costs more and the 3600x works with the same 4801 bios the 3200g requires which worked for me and the xt verison requires a more up to date bios which should still work but I would recommend the 3600x just in case.

Sounds good. I can't begin to express how happy it makes me to have the chance to finally build a full PC instead of taking parts form other PC's to build my current. And with all the knowledge I've picked up along the way im almost certain this is gonna be a Lethal PC (I mean, sure its not Threadripper but its still good for a Sleeper XD)

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I would love to see the system when it is done as I have debated building a sleeper before.