help needed running ethernet cable to another room

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
My WiFi router is setup in a different room, about 30 feet away from my room. I can't just move it and install it in my room because I don't have the right outlet to power the router, so my options are wireless or wired, and I chose wired. I was thinking of running an Ethernet cable under the carpet, but when people step on it over the carpet, will it damage the cable? I can't run the wire in the open because the walls are a brown color and the cable is a bright blue, my parents would not allow that and I can't rip up the walls of course. So should I be fine running it under the carpet? Is a normal round cable fine or should I try getting a flat cable? Any other tips are appropriated, thanks guys.

Solution

75', multiple colors, $9
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4923

Running it under the carpet is not a great idea.

USAFRet

Titan

Under the carpet isn't great. As time goes on, it WILL wear out. And it WILL wear the carpet.

Run it along the baseboard around the room.

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

If this is my only option, how long do you think the cable will last under carpet?

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
The problem is even if I just run it along the baseboards, it has to go through a hallway and it needs to cross two other doorways so you might trip on the wire if it is above the carpet.

USAFRet

Titan

You're not being creative enough. Up, over, and around the doorways. Across the ceiling.
Cat5e, you have a potential 300 feet of cable to work with.

USAFRet

Titan

After a month or two, you will start to see major wear in the carpet.

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Like I said, I would do that kind of stuff but since the cable is blue and the walls are brown, it would stand out and my parents would tell me to take it down, I am only 15 btw and I really don't have too much that I can do for this.

USAFRet

Titan

75', multiple colors, $9
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4923

Running it under the carpet is not a great idea.

Solution

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Ok, I think I can do the white cable over the doors since we have the white wood going around I think that will be fine.

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Ok I just checked and the white cable will work! The last issue is the router is on the right side of the door in the other room, to lead the cable over the doors, I need to pull the cable across the doorway of the room the router is in, so it is still going across one doorway, but I will try to figure something out, thank you for the help!

publicenemy1207

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

Im 15 so I cant move out, that would be a dumb reason to anyway lol, but I am going to just do what USAFRet said and run the cable around the doors, but I will get a white colored cable instead.