lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
So I have been getting a lot of BSOD recently (in the past month) and the stop codes I have been receiving are:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (What failed: nvlddmkm.sys)
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
- after I received this Automatic Repair failed to repair my PC and mentioned at the bottom of the Blue Screen "Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

I did managed to reinstall Windows 10 however I received the BSOD with the stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

(If it helps to give the order in which I have been receiving this, then I can do that as I took pictures almost every time I got the BSOD)
(These are already kind of in order of how I have been getting them but sometimes some of the stop codes popped up afterwards again so that is what I mean by order of occurrences; including the repeated ones)

When does this issue occur:
All of these stop codes occured whenever I would try to launch into a game in Fortnite, launch Fortnite or when I would leave a game of Fortnite to go back to the lobby. Therefore, this would happen whenever I was gaming.
I reassembled my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 but then, as mentioned above, after playing Fortnite for a bit (without the GPU or HDD connected) on my CPU graphics, the PC crashed and gave me the BSOD with the above mentioned stop code (SSE one).
Unfortunately whilst these BSOD were happening, I did try to dust off the inside of my PC with a vacuum cleaner (I did not touch any components) but not much of the dust came off. Then when I was cleaning the rest of my room I accidentally tipped my PC off my desk and it stopped halfway to the ground as it banged a bit against my other chair beside my desk and stayed there slanted. I checked where the chair hit the computer and it was right at the spot where there was no component on the other side of the side panel with the dent. The BSOD continued after this, not sure if this was in any way a cause to this problem.

System Spec:
CPU:
Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M H
RAM: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 2666
GPU: VGA Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC
SSD: Samsung - 860 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda, 2 TB Hard Drive
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Please let me know if you have any solutions or ideas about this! Thank you

Hi, I have been directed to this thread by a fellow member(KingDranzer) of the community, so lets see how we can approach this issue.
Looking at the stop codes, from the top of my head it seems most of them are memory related. Then again, diagnosis needs a certain amount of certainty. Lets start by installing https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed and getting some reports.

Seems like something in Fortnite might be triggering memory stack overflow. Could be a game update that you might have got recently???
Did it start occurring suddenly, or was there some event(hardware change) preceding this issue???
Was it running properly before the problem started???

Last edited:
Reactions: lunarfreakz

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Hi, I have been directed to this thread by a fellow member of the community, so lets see how we can approach this issue.
Looking at the stop codes, from the top of my head it seems most of them are memory related. Then again, diagnosis needs a certain amount of certainty. Lets start by installing https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed and getting some reports.

Okay I will download the application right now. How would you like me to show you the reports or what from the reports do you want me to tell/inform you about?

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Seems like something in Fortnite might be triggering memory stack overflow. Could be a game update that you might have got recently???
Did it start occurring suddenly, or was there some event(hardware change) preceding this issue???
Was it running properly before the problem started???
I reinstalled Windows 10 completely, I installed the game without any updates yet and it is still crashing.
It did start occuring suddenly, well every now and then I used to have screen freezes for a good few seconds (like for a few months back from the start when I built my PC). Then it started to build up to being these crashes and it just got worse. Except for that accident when cleaning recently, I have not done any hardware change (not that there was any hardware change necessarily when it fell, but still pointing it out).
It was running pretty well for like a solid 7-8 months, except for the occasional screen freezes.

Update: I remembered I had some weird issues with sound, like the sound option program would pop up randomly when I was playing games and like make the notification sound on windows, etc.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Okay I will download the application right now. How would you like me to show you the reports or what from the reports do you want me to tell/inform you about?
Wow this application is so helpful, like I can see the files that caused it and what the stop codes were and when the crashes happened. This is amazing. Let me know which information you would like to know!

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
This was what it mentioned under "Crash Dump Analysis":

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 30/06/2019 12:48:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\063019-4593-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC810)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFA980687F0190, 0xFFFFFE8644B98ED0, 0xFFFFF804721CA350)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Most often this is caused by a software problem (kernel stack overflow) but this can also be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 30/06/2019 12:48:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x80C9)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFA980687F0190, 0xFFFFFE8644B98ED0, 0xFFFFF804721CA350)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Most often this is caused by a software problem (kernel stack overflow) but this can also be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 29/06/2019 17:21:37 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062919-5046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC810)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8020C61F9EF, 0xFFFF858CA9FC9F90, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

At this point I am assuming that you have already reinstalled Win10 and reinstalled/updated all your Drivers without success.

On your Start Menu type msinfo32 and check the BIOS version you are running...
https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/H310M-H-rev-10#support-dl-bios

When you have done the above, you need to clear jumper settings on your board to reset the BIOS and then reinstall Windows once again. Execute all 3 steps mentioned here and reinstall Windows and check if the issue is resolved...
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html

If the above doesnt work, you might need to update your BIOS, if it is not latest.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
At this point I am assuming that you have already reinstalled Win10 and reinstalled/updated all your Drivers without success.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html

Actually after reinstalling windows I have no updated anything yet (didn't manually update any drivers (except downloading .NET framework for Fortnite to work) or windows), should I try that first? And then try your solutions you just suggested?

I think I got him to latest BIOS. Yes reinstalled Windows10 and updated drivers(first time) second time only reinstalled Windows but did not update drivers. Did reset BIOS first time but second time we dint as that did nothing to help.

reBOOT-PCTek

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2013
Hi guys.. I would like to make a comment and hope that by doing so Im not intruding on a process. Also, I tried to read the thread but feel i might be missing information that perhaps you are not. So, at the risk of sounding foolish, I thought I would speak up.

It was indicated at the beginning that a memory issue could be afloat. I agree. Memory dimms, when they go wrong, can cause many things to appear to malfunction. They end up pointing to drivers, to possible bugs, to a clash with another version of a file; things such as that.

I haven't seen anyone mention doing a process of elimination course with the RAM in this fellow's computer. If that is true and this hasn't been mentioned, then I think it might prove to be really helpful in coming to a solution and seeing the screens stop, and the freezes too etc.

It's a simple process. When the computer is off, reach into it and take out all but one stick of ram. have a method of marking each stick, and where, what slot it came out of so that will always be known during the elimination.

With just one stick in the board, run the computer. It will be slower, yes, but that's the "no pain, no gain" part we can't worry about. With each stick, do the same thing. See what happens with just the one dimm in the board. Does the machine act up? If yes, which msg out of the lot shows up first? Make note of it.

Again, with the comp off, remove that chip from the slot its in, and place it in the second slot. Get the PC running again. Make note similar, if anything occurs.

In the big picture, the idea is to find out any one of three things

1) which stick of RAM is culprit
2)is it ram, or is it a slot that has deteriorated.
3) it may well be that none are bad, and the board is not bad, that it could be a simple reseating of the mem chips solves the problem. In the end, the goal would be to check each stick of ram, one at a time, in one slot after the next, then the next, then start with the second ram stick doing the same thing. taking notes of the error that MIGHT pop up, and from which stick does it happen.

I suspect that doing this will tell you the answer you need to get passed the problem. Yes it's somewhat tedious, but IF it's something as fixable as RAM, it will be the very most correct way of determining. I really hope it ends for you soon. Comps that just turn off, piss me right off! ha. Be well

Db

Hi guys.. I would like to make a comment and hope that by doing so Im not intruding on a process. Also, I tried to read the thread but feel i might be missing information that perhaps you are not. So, at the risk of sounding foolish, I thought I would speak up.

It was indicated at the beginning that a memory issue could be afloat. I agree. Memory dimms, when they go wrong, can cause many things to appear to malfunction. They end up pointing to drivers, to possible bugs, to a clash with another version of a file; things such as that.

I haven't seen anyone mention doing a process of elimination course with the RAM in this fellow's computer. If that is true and this hasn't been mentioned, then I think it might prove to be really helpful in coming to a solution and seeing the screens stop, and the freezes too etc.

It's a simple process. When the computer is off, reach into it and take out all but one stick of ram. have a method of marking each stick, and where, what slot it came out of so that will always be known during the elimination.

With just one stick in the board, run the computer. It will be slower, yes, but that's the "no pain, no gain" part we can't worry about. With each stick, do the same thing. See what happens with just the one dimm in the board. Does the machine act up? If yes, which msg out of the lot shows up first? Make note of it.

Again, with the comp off, remove that chip from the slot its in, and place it in the second slot. Get the PC running again. Make note similar, if anything occurs.

3) it may well be that none are bad, and the board is not bad, that it could be a simple reseating of the mem chips solves the problem. In the end, the goal would be to check each stick of ram, one at a time, in one slot after the next, then the next, then start with the second ram stick doing the same thing. taking notes of the error that MIGHT pop up, and from which stick does it happen.

I suspect that doing this will tell you the answer you need to get passed the problem. Yes it's somewhat tedious, but IF it's something as fixable as RAM, it will be the very most correct way of determining. I really hope it ends for you soon. Comps that just turn off, piss me right off! ha. Be well

Db
Yes we will do that if it crashes again.
Presently he updated the BIOS and Drivers so lets test it out. If it fails then next we will check RAM.
We did reinstall RAM but did not test each stick individually.

Reactions: lunarfreakz
When running diagnostics, a pattern or sequence needs to be followed. OP, once you have run the above diagnostics, go to Event Viewer and check the System critical events/errors during or around crash times. We are looking for inconsistencies with Who Crashed reports during or around crash times.
Once we have done the above things, we will go to memory stress test, but not how its mentioned above. You will need to test with either memtest or mdsched extended pass. We will get there gradually.

When running diagnostics, a pattern or sequence needs to be followed. OP, once you have run the above diagnostics, go to Event Viewer and check the System critical events/errors during or around crash times. We are looking for inconsistencies with Who Crashed reports during or around crash times.
Once we have done the above things, we will go to memory stress test, but not how its mentioned above. You will need to test with either memtest or mdsched extended pass. We will get there gradually.
Did that multiple times and still having same problem.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018

So I ended up updating my BIOS, my drivers (using the help of Driver Easy) as well as updating Windows several times. Then I tried out the game and it launched for maybe 1:00-1:30 minutes before it crashed and gave me the stop code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

I do have 2 remarks to make though:

1. I have an additional update that windows is offering but I have to select it manually to install it otherwise it tells me "You're up to date". Should I update this as well?

2. I updated/installed the "Motherboard resources" driver to become the new driver "Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)" however there were 8x the "Motherboard resources" therefore I just installed each one of them accordingly to the new driver they gave me and the instructions on how to manually install it. However, only the 1st, 6th and 7th new "Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)" drivers seemed to have installed with no issues but then the other 5 had a warning sign on their icon next to the driver. I opened a few and they either say under "Device status":
2a [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

2b [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
The device is not in a valid state to perform this request.

2c [only 1 had this])
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
A device which does not exist was specified.

What should I do about this?
Let me know what you think of this!

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018

Db
Wow I love this, thank you so so much. This is truely helpful and will definitely try it out after some of the solutions we are trying at the moment. So far, no good :/ But we will keep trying, including this. Thank you again :D

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
This was the crash report for that BSOD that I received after launching Fortnite after all the updating:

Crash dump directories:

On Sun 30/06/2019 18:28:41 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\063019-3953-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC8A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFA48183F84190, 0xFFFF850190431010, 0xFFFFF8011E14D869)

On Sun 30/06/2019 18:28:41 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8129)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFA48183F84190, 0xFFFF850190431010, 0xFFFFF8011E14D869)

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Also, I just tried to launch Fortnite 1 more time and it crashed almost after the same amount of time. This time the stop code was: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

The crash report for this one was:

Crash dump directories:

On Sun 30/06/2019 19:19:34 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\063019-4000-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC8A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80535FCE1BD, 0xFFFF94804727C930, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sun 30/06/2019 19:19:34 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8129)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80535FCE1BD, 0xFFFF94804727C930, 0x0)

For the next phase, we will need only the cpu, cooler, mobo, one ram stick, gpu, OS drive and case+psu.
Boot the machine with the above components only and run the game. Let us know wat happens.
He is running the PC even without GPU. Yesterday we completely reinstalled everything except CPU+Cooler as he does not have thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol(we decided to do this in the last if nothing else works). We need to test the RAM though.