[SOLVED] Help needed upgrading

Mar 21, 2020
Hello i have a crosshair v formula-z i think and a fx 8150 cpu and was looking for an upgrade. Can anyone help me out with this or some recommendations for a motherboard and cpu that will work well with a 1060 3gbs?

Solution
I don't know much about the overclocking on those FX cpu's so it may be worthwhile to make another thread asking how to do so as this would be a good solution for now until you have a larger budget. For the CPU you overclock via the BIOS and for temp you use AMD Overdrive which is not supported by AMD anymore but you may be able to find it on another tech site. Unlike other CPU's it uses Thermal Margin which is read differently then current CPU's. There are plenty of guides out there but the most important thing is thermal margin as if you try to use a program like HWmonitor it won't correctly display the temps.
Apr 9, 2020
If you wish to continue with AMD, The Ryzen 5 or 7 depends on your budges.
As for the Intel, right now 9900k price has been lower last coups months
If there are some stores discount, may be is the right time to get one.

Mar 21, 2020
If you wish to continue with AMD, The Ryzen 5 or 7 depends on your budges.
As for the Intel, right now 9900k price has been lower last coups months
If there are some stores discount, may be is the right time to get one.
i have been looking at he ryzern 5s and do you recommend a motherboard that would go well with it or nah?

Mar 21, 2020
With AMD Ryzen you'll also be required to replace the memory.

What could you spend on upgrades?

Also list your current specs including the PSU.

cpu: amd fx 8150
ram: 16gb ddr3
gpu: gtx 1060 3gb
motherboard: crosshair v formula-z
psu: corsair tx850 bronze i am pretty sure.
If you need anything else just ask me.

Apr 9, 2020
Asus or Gigabyte

Asus they have great possibility to overclock and system over boost. It's recommend for will PC knowledge player (Researchers,Gamer,Programmer and Complex Graph Designer).

Gigabyte has most stable and durable motherboard I have ever used. However, their capability to overclock and functions are limited. It's recommend for daily business and school users.

ASUS-ROG Crosshair VIII hero>VIII formula>Gaming X570 -Plus

Gigabyte-X570 Aorus series>Gaming X

The reason why I recommend X570 is because have much better upgradability in the future and Utilities(USB,WIFI,,,etc).

PS:you also may consider power supply, it looks like you have fx-8150 for awhile. You might want check your power supply too.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
Try Ebay or Neweggs. Search "openbox" or "refurbished", check "Prime-x570-Pro" and some OEM ddr4-3200 memories. Save some money and get Ryzen 5 end of this year because Ryzen 4000 series would be announced this fall.

Apr 9, 2020
Afterburner is for video card. You need go to your bios to overclock your CPU.
I would recommend that you should do some research in this website or YouTube to learn
the basic overclock. Otherwise you may fried your CPU and motherboard.

WildCard999

Titan
I don't know much about the overclocking on those FX cpu's so it may be worthwhile to make another thread asking how to do so as this would be a good solution for now until you have a larger budget. For the CPU you overclock via the BIOS and for temp you use AMD Overdrive which is not supported by AMD anymore but you may be able to find it on another tech site. Unlike other CPU's it uses Thermal Margin which is read differently then current CPU's. There are plenty of guides out there but the most important thing is thermal margin as if you try to use a program like HWmonitor it won't correctly display the temps.

Solution