Question Help needed with a multiple source audio recording setup

utkanos

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi guys

I wonder if someone could help me try to understand the set up I need to record some videos comprising not one but two audio sources:
  • source 1 from my Samson Metor mic
  • source 2 from my Yamaha MODX synthesiser (with all the standard outs).
I don't want to record the voiceover separately; I want to record both audio streams at once. My laptop doesn't have any line-in, so I'm looking at external soundcards, like the CSL USB 7.1 External Soundcard (I'd like to it, but the forum thinks I'm a spammer.)

I've found some which seem to fit the purpose, but I'm unsure a) if I'm heading in the right direction; b) whether the soundcard will power my Metor.

I assume I can't hope to record all three sources into a single device, i.e. a digital camera. I'm yet to shop for one of these but I've never seen one with two audio line-ins, far less one of them accepting audio over USB.

Could someone shed some clarity and give me some pointers? Thank you in advance!

utkanos

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Interesting. I had thought a soundcard was what I was after as many of them seem to mention multiple inputs. Can you explain to a noob what the difference between a soundcard and a mixer is, for my purposes?

Thanks for your help.

utkanos

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Just had a look into USB mixers. From what I can see (with very limited knowledge) they don't seem to accept audio input from USB.

Example: Behringer 302USB.

Am I missing something?