Question Help needed with cable conundrum

WastedJoker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I work from home.

I have a work PC and my personal PC.

The inputs for my work PC are 2x displayport 1.2 only.

The inputs for my personal PC are 1x hdmi (2.1) and 3x displayport (1.4a)

I use two monitors - my main one which is connected to both PCs and a secondary one that I only use with my personal PC. The second one is in landscape mode (it's basically for using the browser/discord etc when I'm gaming)

My main monitor has 1x displayport, 1x usb-c, and 2x hdmi.

My secondary monitor has 2x hdmi, 1x displayport IN, and 1 displayport OUT

This configuration means I have to use the single displayport on my main monitor to connect to my work pc - I had an hdmi to dp adapter to "free" up the single displayport on my monitor but this doesn't support a high enough resolution (it forces 1920x1080 which looks vile on my 4k monitor).

This leaves me with 1x usb-c and 2x hdmi to connect to my personal PC.

G-Sync doesn't work if I connect my main monitor to my personal PC via HDMI.

I thought I'd solved it by buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09HKL7M2N?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title which is a usb-c to displayport adapter (I checked my monitor specs and it supports displayport alt mode) but when plugging it in the connection isn't recognised.

I don't want to be chucking away £15 an an unproven solution every time. Can anyone point me to a rock solid solution to this?

Lutfij

Titan
I had an hdmi to dp adapter to "free" up the single displayport on my monitor but this doesn't support a high enough resolution (it forces 1920x1080 which looks vile on my 4k monitor)
For the sake of clarity, can you mention the make and model of your monitors and the GPU's for both PC's? If you have an iGPU, you could power off that instead of relying on your discrete GPU. I'm assuming here since you didn't mention the specs to both PC's.

The more info you can provide the sooner an issue can be resolved. The cable you've linked above is meant for USB-C output to Display port input.

WastedJoker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I had an hdmi to dp adapter to "free" up the single displayport on my monitor but this doesn't support a high enough resolution (it forces 1920x1080 which looks vile on my 4k monitor)
For the sake of clarity, can you mention the make and model of your monitors and the GPU's for both PC's? If you have an iGPU, you could power off that instead of relying on your discrete GPU. I'm assuming here since you didn't mention the specs to both PC's.

The more info you can provide the sooner an issue can be resolved. The cable you've linked above is meant for USB-C output to Display port input.
Main is BenQ EX2780Q. Secondary is Dell U2515H.

No idea what the gpu is for my work pc. Some crappy intel thing.

For my main pc it is a RTX 4080 Super.