Question Help needed with Gigabyte Motherboard

Sep 5, 2020
My wife recently did an upgrade (out of necessity) of her computer.

She went from an MSI B250 motherboard to a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard. Her computer now refuses
to power up. It shuts down a matter of seconds after pressing the on/off switch.

Tech support at both Gigabyte and the power supply manufacturer had us run various test (paperclip, shorting the power pins on the motherboard, power supply inside and outside of case). Nothing seems to help. although a couple of times it seemed like it would run shorting the pins (a 2-pin jumper would very much help with that test) and other times it would shut down as with the original problem.

Components:

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard
EVGA 600W power supply (brand new)
Fractal Design G Case (also new)

This is my wife's business computer and we are very frustrated over the situation.

My wife recently did an upgrade (out of necessity) of her computer.

She went from an MSI B250 motherboard to a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard. Her computer now refuses
to power up. It shuts down a matter of seconds after pressing the on/off switch.

Tech support at both Gigabyte and the power supply manufacturer had us run various test (paperclip, shorting the power pins on the motherboard, power supply inside and outside of case). Nothing seems to help. although a couple of times it seemed like it would run shorting the pins (a 2-pin jumper would very much help with that test) and other times it would shut down as with the original problem.

Components:

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard
EVGA 600W power supply (brand new)
Fractal Design G Case (also new)

This is my wife's business computer and we are very frustrated over the situation.
If I remember correctly, the B250 boards support 6th and 7th generation 'Skylake' and 'Kabylake' CPU's and the Z390 supports 8th and 9th generation 'Coffee Lake' CPU's. I think you have the wrong board. Did you also get a new CPU that's compatible with the new board or try to use the old CPU?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020
If I remember correctly, the B250 boards support 6th and 7th generation 'Skylake' and 'Kabylake' CPU's and the Z390 supports 8th and 9th generation 'Coffee Lake' CPU's. I think you have the wrong board. Did you also get a new CPU that's compatible with the new board or try to use the old CPU?
The Processor was not replaced during the upgrade. I may be wrong but the processor is an Intel I5. I need to check with my son