Question Help needed with mouse input lag that appeared overnight ?

Oct 19, 2022
At least, I think it's input lag. It's slight enough that it's hard to tell, but still noticeable and gives my mouse movement a "floaty" feeling. One day everything was perfectly fine; the next, not so much.

At first I thought my G Pro Wireless was giving up the proverbial ghost, as I've had it for 1-2 years now. I had just purchased a new Deathadder v2, so I plugged that in, expecting my problems to resolve. No dice. I tried wired vs. wireless, which didn't appear to make much of a difference. I tried checking motherboard connections and rolling back Windows updates, with a similar lack of effect. And yes, I tried different USB ports, but this is where it gets weird.

I first assumed that the front ports on my PC (where I normally plug my wireless adapters, because closer to mouse = better) were going faulty. After plugging the adapter in the back of my PC, directly into the motherboard, the issue seemed resolved! The floaty feeling seemed mostly gone, but then, bam! My mouse would now periodically freeze/hitch, which is even worse.

A final note, these issues seem only observable while playing games or launching programs. Any insight or guesses would be appreciated, and have detailed my specs below. PC is a little over two years old.

Specs:

GPU:
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

CPU: Intel i5 10600k

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, DDR4 4000

Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series 850W (Modular)

Hard Drive: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD

Ralston18

Titan
What games and programs/apps?

Take a look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor and observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Observe system performance when the mouse becomes "floaty".

Start with some game or app that is not "floaty" .

Then, if possible, making only one single change run a "floaty" game.

What is different in Task Manager or Resource Monitor?

TRENDING THREADS