Help needed with WiFi routers and people being connected but not able to get on google

Oct 8, 2018
So I live on a ship and we hooked up some WiFi in our bearthing (where we sleep) we have 1 router in the upper part and another one in the lounge below it. I made it so the routers are bridges together so one they share the same internet but we have people on their laptops playing games but my phone won’t even connect to the internet. Is it a bandwidth issue or is it a connection issue?

Oct 8, 2018

so what happens if the phones will connect but only be connected for about 20 minutes then they get kicked off. Its almost as if laptops get priority over everything else.

It many times is who ever has the best signal levels can hog the bandwidth. In effect they yell louder so the router hears them more.

You best test would be to sit next to the router for a while and see if you have the same problem.

Wifi is very hard to troubleshoot. It take very little to block the signals. A microwave oven runs at the same frequency as wifi but put out 1000 times the power. You can see though the glass door but it completely blocks any signal from getting out.

Very advanced routers have QoS options but that is more to "try" to share the internet connection. The wifi itself there is not a lot you can do. It would be nice if it worked like cell phone networks where the tower/router would control when each device can use bandwidth but wifi it wild west with everyone grabbing everything they can.