Help needed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Hi,
We had a 16 bit app written in VB3. It used dlls written in COBOL. These
dlls were called from VB apps.
We used NTVDM then. Later we upgraded to VB6. Now the NTVDM is removed and
there is a dummy call to teh cobol dlls.
But the performance is extremely poor now, the system has gone very slow.

I think that in NTVDK concept, all the dll are also loaded in the same
memory blocks as the threads that run as single processes. Is it??

I think that in 32 bit apps, these dll are loaded not in a fixed memory
block, but ib the entire memory space available, since the exe's are run as
separate processes.
Is it that due to this reason, the response time and performance hit is
there?

Is there an alternative for thsi problem, to make the system work faster?

Please suggest.

"MSHelp" <not@noreply.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> We had a 16 bit app written in VB3. It used dlls written in COBOL.
> These dlls were called from VB apps.
> We used NTVDM then. Later we upgraded to VB6. Now the NTVDM is removed
> and there is a dummy call to teh cobol dlls.
> But the performance is extremely poor now, the system has gone very
> slow.
>
> I think that in NTVDK concept, all the dll are also loaded in the same
> memory blocks as the threads that run as single processes. Is it??
>
> I think that in 32 bit apps, these dll are loaded not in a fixed
> memory block, but ib the entire memory space available, since the
> exe's are run as separate processes.
> Is it that due to this reason, the response time and performance hit
> is there?
>
> Is there an alternative for thsi problem, to make the system work
> faster?
>
> Please suggest.

Can't you just recompile the DLL's?

TRENDING THREADS