Question [HELP!] New 3200MHz RAM won't boot at 3200MHz

Floydsound

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Hello, everyone. This issue has been driving me crazy.

I had been using 2x16 Trident Z 3200MHz RAM for a few weeks with no problems, but decided to return it due to a faulty LED. Then I ended up buying 2x16 Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 3200MHz. I've installed it a few hours ago and have been trying to make it work properly, without success.

This is my system (everything is updated and all temperatures are under control):
- Ryzen 7 5800X3D
- Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080 V2 OC 10 GB GDDR6X
- Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32 GB (2x16) DDR4 3200 MHz
- MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
- WD Black SN850X 2TB
- Corsair TX750M
- Windows 10 Pro x64

Here's what I did and what happened:

Removed Trident Z sticks from A2/B2
2. Cleared CMOS
3. Installed Corsair sticks on A2/B2
4. PC turns on, but monitor shows no screen
5. I put the sticks on A1/B1 and got the same result
6. Cleared CMOS
7. PC turns on and starts an infinite loop of "preparing automatic repair"
8. Cleared CMOS
9. That "press F1 or F2" screen appears, then I press F2 to return BIOS to default values
10. I manage to enter Windows, but the RAM is running at 2933MHz
11. After some research, I set the RAM voltage to 1.3V and entered Windows without problems
12. When I clicked on "shut down" to turn off the PC, it restarted
13. I thought it was a misclick, so I selected "shut down" again, and it restarted again
14. I went to Windows settings > System > About > System advanced settings > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > Unchecked the Automatically restart choice under System Failure
15. I shut down and turn on the PC, but the screen doesn't turn on again
16. Cleared CMOS
17. Entered BIOS, changed RAM voltage to 1.35V to be absolutely safe
18. To my surprise, the screen doesn't turn on again
19. Cleared CMOS and entered Windows, just like in number 10

Another thing: I'm running my CPU with an offset voltage of -0.1000v and MSI Kombo Strike set at 3 (basically CO -30), all perfectly stable at the time of installing the new RAM.

UPDATE: I entered a default BIOS and the ONLY thing I did was activating the XMP so that the RAM could run at 3200MHz. The PC tried to boot twice into Windows (the "circling balls" loading kicked in 2 times), then no screen at all again.

HWiNFO64: View: https://imgur.com/a/j8ErCWi

Motherboard compatibility with my RAM: View: https://imgur.com/a/hDyvTgj

Should I format Windows? I really didn't want to do this unless there's a real probability that Windows was somehow corrupted.

I have NO IDEA what else to do. Please, if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
HWinfo shows your system actually boots with different latency settings compared to those written on the XMP, even for 3000 (1497), which explains the reboot cycles. Your system tries to boot with the ram settings but fails so it will automatically loosen the latency values (21-21-21-49). Usually the first step is to manually edit the latency settings and voltage to 1.35 and deactivate the XMP. You can also try each ram stick at a time, and check if one of them is giving those issues. If it's hardware related you should also try a bootable memtest and let it run for a few hours

Reactions: Floydsound

Floydsound

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
HWinfo shows your system actually boots with different latency settings compared to those written on the XMP, even for 3000 (1497), which explains the reboot cycles. Your system tries to boot with the ram settings but fails so it will automatically loosen the latency values (21-21-21-49). Usually the first step is to manually edit the latency settings and voltage to 1.35 and deactivate the XMP. You can also try each ram stick at a time, and check if one of them is giving those issues. If it's hardware related you should also try a bootable memtest and let it run for a few hours
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Tolis! After installing both sticks separately, here's what happened:

- On one stick, the XMP worked on default settings (3200MHz at 1.2V) and I had no issues in Windows.

- On the other stick, after doing the same thing, the PC restarted twice in a row BEFORE entering Windows, and then the screen didn't turn on again.

That's very annoying, but what can we do, right? I already sent an e-mail to the store to return the kit.

Again, thanks a lot for your observations!

Apr 14, 2023
XMP? Corsair? RT?

You have AM4 and 4 channels.

Set DRAM voltage to 1.4 V, select the desired Mclk for your new sticks, reboot.

Look at the timings, get angry, return the RAM, never buy again.

2966 MHz....Where's your pride.

Floydsound

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
XMP? Corsair? RT?

You have AM4 and 4 channels.

Set DRAM voltage to 1.4 V, select the desired Mclk for your new sticks, reboot.

Look at the timings, get angry, return the RAM, never buy again.

2966 MHz....Where's your pride.
Since English is not my first language, I'm not sure if I got the tone of your post :smile: Are you criticizing the RAM or my decision?

Apr 14, 2023
Since English is not my first language, I'm not sure if I got the tone of your post :smile: Are you criticizing the RAM or my decision?

I'm not criticizing the 3800x3d...but maybe it's better to put it on a desk and just look at it every now and then.

3200c16 is pointless. So are LEDs. So is paying 50 percent more for a stick of RAM to be sure it's not garbage.

I'd just get 2 of these and hope for the best:

CMK16GX4M2D3600C18

Last edited:
Reactions: Floydsound

Floydsound

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
I'm not criticizing the 3800x3d...but maybe it's better to put it on a desk and just look at it every now and then.

3200c16 is pointless. So are LEDs. So is paying 50 percent more for a stick of RAM to be sure it's not garbage.

I'd just get 2 of these and hope for the best:

CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
I RMA'd the RGB and bought the one you suggested. Everything running smoothly at 1.35V and 3600Mhz. Thanks, mate! :)

Reactions: Kona45primo
Apr 14, 2023
I RMA'd the RGB and bought the one you suggested. Everything running smoothly at 1.35V and 3600Mhz. Thanks, mate! :)
That's nice to hear.

So what flavor they send you? Strawberry Samsung? XMP Hynix Honey?

If it's Samsung and XMP 2 you can cool them to 1.32v or less and wait for the lightning to strike.

Hynix, ...start clocking to 1900. or wherever 5800x3d likes most.