[SOLVED] Help new build freezing

Jul 28, 2020
Hello all,
Haven't built a rig in a while but my son wanted a new gaming computer and saved his money so we ordered some parts up from new egg and threw it together. Everything seemed fine from the beginning but as he has been trying to play more graphics intensive games we've started having a problem. The system freezes sometimes throwing the windows error "there's a problem and windows needs to shut down", you know the one, but most of the time it just freezes and we would have to reset it. first thought it was the graphics card so no problem read more reviews and problems people had been having. Exchanged the original EVGA RTX 2060 card for an MSI GTX 1660 Ti. We've made sure all drivers and bios were up to date, ran test after test, made sure there were no overheating issues and still the freezing continues. Reloading windows didn't seem to help and I'm kind of at my wits end. This rig plays World of Warcraft with no issues but if he we try ot play something like Black Desert online or RUST this freezing problem rears its ugly head. Tried running me test with no errors and Unigen/Harvey with no errors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Here's our build.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1660 TI VENTUS XS 6G OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0A
CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow CC-9011173-WW Black Steel / Plastic / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Solution
Well you basically ruled out all my likely suspects here. Do you have current bios on ur mb? Might be worth a shot to update it to solve possible compatibility/stability issues.
I think it's obviously safe to say it's not the gpu since swapping did not help, getting 2 faulty gpus in a row would be close to winning a lottery. Doesn't seem to be windows either because you said you set it from ground up again with no results.
Psu problems generally cause shutdowns or restarts intead of freezes and bsods so I wouldn't go there.
Check the general SMART health of ur hdd in for example hddscan. It's a hit or miss but it might be hdd and if it's causing bsods even SMART should show something.
How long did you run memtest? Some errors don't...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Well you basically ruled out all my likely suspects here. Do you have current bios on ur mb? Might be worth a shot to update it to solve possible compatibility/stability issues.
I think it's obviously safe to say it's not the gpu since swapping did not help, getting 2 faulty gpus in a row would be close to winning a lottery. Doesn't seem to be windows either because you said you set it from ground up again with no results.
Psu problems generally cause shutdowns or restarts intead of freezes and bsods so I wouldn't go there.
Check the general SMART health of ur hdd in for example hddscan. It's a hit or miss but it might be hdd and if it's causing bsods even SMART should show something.
How long did you run memtest? Some errors don't popup until later stages of testing when ram gets hot, which would match the symptoms since all hell brakes loose on more demanding games. If you haven't do run it again and let it pass all 13 stages of test 2-3 times or untill you see any errors. Might take a while but it would rule out ram completely.
Next thing coming to mind is cpu. What aside from memtest did you use for testing? Might be good idea to check cpu stability with with something like occt. Half an hour test would show instability or temp issues with it much better than general benchmark. Maybe you just have a rly hot cpu that overheats even on stock clocks.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 28, 2020
Some good ideas. We ran Memtest through the entire gambit. Took about 13 hours, all stages completed. Was looking last night and noticed there has since been an update released for the MoBo. Going to update it tonight and cross my fingers. Seems the Q-installer for the ASUS board is not picking it up.

Jul 28, 2020
So update.... after updating the BIOS everything seemed to be good until about 3 1/2 hours into playing WoW and there she blows again. System froze and had to hard reset to bring it back. How do I or what program can I use to check CPU stability as you suggested?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
OCCT I mentioned is quite easy and portable so just Download and run. Bottom left (big white/red play button) is where you start the test, after it starts you'll see test timer and error counter there. On the upper right click on temperature icon to see graphs for all available components (top right section) and min/current/max/average number temperatures (bottom right section).
KT1jSCE.png

UsMjP2s.png

I'd suggest running it for about 45-60 mins, we are looking for no errors and temperatures staying below 90'C.

Jul 28, 2020
Not sure who marked this as solved but that’s not the case. I’ve tried the OCCT program and my system freezes 2 seconds into running the test. I’m baffled I mean does that possibly indicate that ya there’s a CPU problem or what?? Honestly confused here and I know I’m slow to respond but I’m working a lot and have few moments to sit and try to work on this issue. Thanks in advance and belatedly for advice and ideas.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I assume you did not overclock it either manually or automatically correct? If you did not then unfortunately answer is yes, the cpu seems to be the cause. There is a 1/10 or less chance that it could be the motherboard but it's pretty much impossible to be certain without checking how the cpu performs in different mb or mb with a different cpu.
As a last double check run the official Intel processor diagnostic Tool
5567_image2.jpg

This one is not portable so you'll have to install it somewhere and then run (in case you don't know you need the 64bit version). The test should start automatically upon launching the program and if it doesn't just hit the "Start Test". If my assumptions are correct the test will either fail or freeze the pc like OCCT did but it never hurts to double check.