[SOLVED] Help! New Computer - Loud Ryzen 3600x Spire

Oct 27, 2020
I'm aware there are other threads about this but I am hoping someone who knows all about this sort of thing can comment directly..

--

1) I purchased a new computer. Built it myself first time. It's mostly perfect except for the fact the 3600x fan is annoying. It doesn't generate your typical white noise computer fan sound but instead this mechanical whirring sound. It's constant. It occurs regardless of what I'm doing whether I'm gaming or the system is idle. It's not overly noisy but it is annoying so when I'm trying to work, silently, it's impossible, and I have to throw music or the TV on to deafen it. I'm not sure if the spire is defective or if that is how it sounds naturally. I can try to attach a video if that helps.

a) What is a well known and silent replacement for the spire?​
b) What is the likelihood a motherboard bios update biffed the spire? Is it worth rolling the version backwards? I did drivers shortly after powering on the system and installing Windows. Motherboard is ASUS x570-P​

Solution
yah that hum is hard to describe but it is there. for me i more felt it in my desk than heard it if that makes any sense. so that ramping up and down was sound and "feeling" it in my desk as well. very distracting.
I'm aware there are other threads about this but I am hoping someone who knows all about this sort of thing can comment directly..

--

1) I purchased a new computer. Built it myself first time. It's mostly perfect except for the fact the 3600x fan is annoying. It doesn't generate your typical white noise computer fan sound but instead this mechanical whirring sound. It's constant. It occurs regardless of what I'm doing whether I'm gaming or the system is idle. It's not overly noisy but it is annoying so when I'm trying to work, silently, it's impossible, and I have to throw music or the TV on to deafen it. I'm not sure if the spire is defective or if that is how it sounds naturally. I can try to attach a video if that helps.

a) What is a well known and silent replacement for the spire?​
b) What is the likelihood a motherboard bios update biffed the spire? Is it worth rolling the version backwards? I did drivers shortly after powering on the system and installing Windows. Motherboard is ASUS x570-P​

Most motherboards have a fan profile. Quiet, Normal / Balanced, & Performance. It usually sits under a section labeled "fan profile", "cool n quiet" or "fans". Try setting it to the lower profile. You might lose a little top end boost speed, but it might be less audible.

Oct 27, 2020
I have adjusted the fan profile but it seems to make little difference. There is also a PWM and DC setting and changing to PWM sees it rev up RPMs. If it were white noise I probably wouldn't care but it makes this mechanical whirring noise which I haven't heard in a computer before, including my old PC I'm still running as a comparison.

Oct 27, 2020
What is loud to you and somebody else can be completely different.

Pretty much all stock coolers are bad and barely adequate, I would buy a decent cooler.

I know it's a subjective thing. I'll try and upload a video later for perspective. I'll look at other coolers too in the meantime..

Oct 27, 2020
I have uploaded video. This is the best quality I can get with my phone: It sounds like a propeller or a car motor whether under load, idle, or booting OS. The longer video is booting Windows. This is the fan running between 1800-1900 RPM. Even when I drop the RPMs some, it still sounds much the same.

https://vimeo.com/user125992017/review/476080574/6b11ec55d5

Hopefully this gets my point across. I found this video here which it sounds very similar at 4:15:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHhRPTEJ9GY

So it appears it's not defective. This is simply how it sounds. I guess I do need a new one if I want to get a more silent, white noise sound.

Oct 27, 2020
Best thing I ever did was buy an after market cooler. I was running a 3600X with a Wraith Prism and it was literally shaking my desk,I thought it was going to take off! I bought a be quiet dark rock slim and the difference is huge.
I may have to do that then. The computer shop also recommended the Be Quiet models. But after spending $300 processor on this and $1900 total my computer the last thing I really feel like doing is dropping 80 bucks and ripping the fan out hoping the new one sounds better.

Guess I'm f*cked.

I have uploaded video. This is the best quality I can get with my phone: It sounds like a propeller or a car motor whether under load, idle, or booting OS. The longer video is booting Windows. This is the fan running between 1800-1900 RPM. Even when I drop the RPMs some, it still sounds much the same.

https://vimeo.com/user125992017/review/476080574/6b11ec55d5

Hopefully this gets my point across. I found this video here which it sounds very similar at 4:15:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHhRPTEJ9GY

So it appears it's not defective. This is simply how it sounds. I guess I do need a new one if I want to get a more silent, white noise sound.
Running the fan at full speed is a mistake. It doesn't sound too bad at 50% rpm. This is the fan profile I use:

Oct 27, 2020
Running the fan at full speed is a mistake. It doesn't sound too bad at 50% rpm. This is the fan profile I use:

I'll try playing with the optimization but I'm not expecting much difference since the fan is already running at pretty low RPM.

In BIOS it shows about 1850RPM .. in Windows, HWMonitor shows it trucking along at 1350. It's as quiet as it's going to get I think; it's an annoying mechanical whirring noise is all - not a typical white noise from a fan. I used to work outside a server room and with all those servers going - even that was pretty easy to tune out because it is merely white noise.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i went with a be quiet pure rock 2 for my 3700x. had same problem with that cooler and only took 2 weeks before i threw it away and went 3rd party.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-rock-2-black/p/13C-001F-00039?Item=9SIA68VB5Y8554

very quiet and keeps the low power cpu plenty cool enough. i know they make better ones but i wanted black and didn't want to spend $80 for it. think i paid $39 at the time.

edit: amazon has it

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK007-Elegant-Surface-Technology/dp/B087VL2Z21

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 27, 2020
i went with a be quiet pure rock 2 for my 3700x. had same problem with that cooler and only took 2 weeks before i threw it away and went 3rd party.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-rock-2-black/p/13C-001F-00039?Item=9SIA68VB5Y8554

very quiet and keeps the low power cpu plenty cool enough. i know they make better ones but i wanted black and didn't want to spend $80 for it. think i paid $39 at the time.

edit: amazon has it

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK007-Elegant-Surface-Technology/dp/B087VL2Z21

yeah.. I think I will look at Be Quiet. Lots of people suggesting that.

It's a shame.. I never built a computer on my own so it never occurred to me to that CPU fan noise would be a problem otherwise I may have gone Intel over AMD. My old tower from 2011 is Intel and its about the same audible level but much less annoying. So I run that here in the same room to tune out my new computer.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you'll have to go with better cooling for intel as well. those chips are power hungry and that same old cheap stock cooler is not even close to good enough. even for stock speeds.

the amd cooler is actually good enough for the chip, however that annoying ramping up and down of the fan ruins it for most users. i tried all the "fixes" and nothing could stop it from doing that. i even tried setting it to 100% full time just so it would stay at one speed and even then it still slowed down when it felt like it.

Oct 27, 2020
you'll have to go with better cooling for intel as well. those chips are power hungry and that same old cheap stock cooler is not even close to good enough. even for stock speeds.

the amd cooler is actually good enough for the chip, however that annoying ramping up and down of the fan ruins it for most users. i tried all the "fixes" and nothing could stop it from doing that. i even tried setting it to 100% full time just so it would stay at one speed and even then it still slowed down when it felt like it.

Oh, I don't doubt the cooler is sufficient for cooling here; it appears to do that just fine. But in my case it's not even a ramping up and down of the speed of the fan as many have reported; it does this on boot but that's it. It's a constant mechanical humming regardless of what I'm doing. I'm running it on power saver plan and set the fans to silent and I'm not sure if that made any real difference. I did try to show that in my video above but my phone only records subpar quality video in this regard.

The Youtube video at 4:15 is my spire noise; it's "quiet" compared to that but loud enough to annoy you still if you are sitting here silently trying to work.