Help! New Hard Drive initialized but cannot be formatted!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael Lau

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I recently bought a new 1TB HDD (Western Digital WD1003FZEX) and I cant get it to format. I've tried going onto My Computer and formatting it there, but it gives me a message saying "Windows was unable to complete the format".

QYu6GZj.png

I have also tried going into disk management and formatting or partitioning it but there are no options to do anything on that disk.
QpbkWNe.png

HELP!

Solution
Hey! I just wanted to let you know I fixed it! The hard drive was fine and working. What I did was reinitialized the drive by going into diskpart.exe then typing the following:

"Open a command prompt with ELEVATED privilege (Administrator)
DISKPART
LIST DRIVE
SELECTE DRIVE <DRIVE NUMBER> (EXAMPLE: SELECT DISK 2)
CLEAN
EXIT"

I then went back into disk management and initialized it with the wizard and it worked!

Just a response for anyone who needs help in the future!

Thanks for the help btw MordernWarfare!

Michael Lau

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hey! I just wanted to let you know I fixed it! The hard drive was fine and working. What I did was reinitialized the drive by going into diskpart.exe then typing the following:

"Open a command prompt with ELEVATED privilege (Administrator)
DISKPART
LIST DRIVE
SELECTE DRIVE <DRIVE NUMBER> (EXAMPLE: SELECT DISK 2)
CLEAN
EXIT"

I then went back into disk management and initialized it with the wizard and it worked!

Just a response for anyone who needs help in the future!

Thanks for the help btw MordernWarfare!

Solution