HELP: New mobo and GFX card problem

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
My new motherboard won't display anything with my (1GB with power connector) Nvidia 9800GT, however if I put in an old Radeon X1650 (512MB and no power connector) it posts and boots into windows just fine.

Whats the deal here? Both are used in the same PCI-e slot...

P.S. my power supply and 9800GT worked perfectly playing games no problems before the new mobo.
And I already RMA'd the mobo the first time which did the same thing.

Specs:
AsRock 970 Extreme3
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600 DDR3
Corsair GS 700 watts PS
Phenom II 965 BE
1TB WD hdd

could be two issues.. one the card went bad...only will work in some mb. the card and the mb chipset do not like each other. i seen a few cards over the years do that. put in one brand card...no post..put in another card and system works fine. i would start out with the simple stuff to rule out the card..make sure the new mb bios has all of the patches and your system has the newest mb chipset drivers loaded. also check on the pci slot and video card for missing or bent pins.

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Card is not bad, used it today as a matter of fact with my previous motherboard and was working perfectly and running games even under heavy load like it always is. I updated the BIOS to date and I've read about others using the same mobo with my graphics card, so it shouldn't be a compatibility issue. Plus, I've had two of the same motherboards do the same thing, one an RMA. So it's not likely the motherboard and not likely the graphics card as it works just fine. So I am totally lost to what to do right now? Maybe reset cmos or something.. There's no bent pins on the slot or video card.

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Update: When I have both graphics cards in both pci-e at the same time (either combination) I still get no display, but this time from either card. Whenever my 1gb is in the system nothing will display... Could it be the powersupply? or somehow the gfx card even though it works? or compatibility? That's what I have it narrowed down to.