Nov 23, 2020
So I've just built my first PC. Been troubleshooting for nearly 3 straight off-days now... Specs are as follows:

X570 Auros Elite Wifi Mobo
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB(2 x 16GB) 288-pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM 3600(PC4 28800)
MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super VENTUS Non OC
1 TB WD BLUE SN550 NVME SSD
EVGA 850W GA Gold PSU
Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
All in a phanteks eclipse p400a, and fans obv

I'm using two screens; one is an old HDMI LCD TV, one is a newer Sceptre 144hz gaming monitor..
On my last PC, which my buddy built like 6-7 years ago and sold to me, I was hooked up to both my TV via HDMI, and Sceptre monitor via display cable. After building this new PC, I tried booting up plugged into both. Signal only showed coming through to the LCD TV via HDMI. When I installed/updated windows and all my drivers, I tried to configure the Sceptre monitor by either going into Windows display settings or NVIDIA control panel.. Display settings did not detect the monitor. Then I noticed NVIDIA Control Panel won't even open. It wasn't even on the list when I right click desktop, yet it is installed.. One last bug, Geforce Experience never recognizes my updated drivers, as if it was looking in the wrong place. It would install and then say I have another available update to install, infinitely.

So I spend all day messing with settings and reinstalling drivers, using DDU to completely remove all NVIDIA software and then reinstall the drivers in safe mode. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, even. Still the same issue.. Also noticed in device manager, it lists my 2070 Super but with a caution sign next to it.. When you click properties it reads 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43.) I tried unplugging the display cable, and running the HDMI from the Sceptre monitor to PC(without rebooting). This gave me image on my scepter monitor, however, it was a very low resolution with horizontal green lines scattered around the screen, and my NVIDIA programs were still bugged. At this point i'm at 12 straight hours of reading forum posts and tweaking ideas, I called it a night.. This was yesterday.

This morning I woke up and realized i never tried booting up with only the monitor plugged in via HDMI. Before i tried that, I tried putting the GPU into my other PCIe slot. That made the native resolution WAY worse when I booted up. So I moved it back to the original slot. THEN I tried booting up using ONLY the HDMI from Sceptre monitor to PC. BOOM! It works. Starts off in a low resolution but it let me change to native 1920x1080. NVIDIA Control Panel was then fully accessible as I was able to go and tweak the performance settings for my GPU. I'm excited at this point. I download steam and start installing Destiny, grab MSI Afterburner. Then i go to download GPUZ to make sure my GPU is running fine.

While this is downloading the PC randomly reboots. Now I see then same green lines running horizontal, spaced all over the screen randomly. These green lines were present on the screen yesterday when I got image to show on the monitor, in the bootup. It boots up into a lower resolution, but it lets me change it to 1920x1080 , however the green lines are still all over the screen, and NVIDIA Control Panel is gone again. (As in i can't access it. It's still installed.) The caution sign is back under my GPU in Device Manager with Code 43. I immediately try rebooting the system the same way I did the time it all worked. It boots to my native resolution but there are still green lines all over the screen and I can't access NVIDIA Control Panel. Geforce Experience is again not recognizing my up to date driver.. My ultimate goal is to get the Sceptre monitor to show up via Display cable. I just want to take advantage of my monitor's capabilities with the new rig.. I'm almost ready to give up. Just wish I could get this thing fully up and running. And hoping my GPU is not defective.

I did get the GGPU used on Ebay, however the seller has over 4,000 sales and 5 stars. There is also no visible usage on the GPU, if it was actually used they definitely didn't drop it or anything as there is no visible damage. I really want to believe this is fixable on my end seeing that everything was working fine for like 30 minutes this morning until it rebooted.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas on how to help

Xa6qvdv.jpg

uXoKrhz.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Well as suspected it might be micron issue as well as rtx 2080/ti had.
There are users reporting that on reddit and other sites.
Who knows how the seller tested the card? He might just plugged in , seen that it displayed and thats it.

One fun fact to try again to DDU and disable windows from installing newest drivers.
Also try older drivers if you havent? (did not see you mentioning that)
image.png
Which memory chip is using your RTX?
Check that in GPU-Z if possible. (To be sure that is not "that" defective micron? memory)

Also there is possibility a very low, try cleaning PCIe connector on GPU to clean off residue with alchohol (acetone will work, just a bit on paper or some cloth, also pencil eraser will work).Yes it happened to me once touching with my dirty hands from dusting pc off.

Are you sure that GPU is not sagging too much and is by 90* angle in PCIE slot of motherboard.

Nov 23, 2020
Which memory chip is using your RTX?
Check that in GPU-Z if possible. (To be sure that is not "that" defective micron? memory)

Also there is possibility a very low, try cleaning PCIe connector on GPU to clean off residue with alchohol (acetone will work, just a bit on paper or some cloth, also pencil eraser will work).Yes it happened to me once touching with my dirty hands from dusting pc off.

Are you sure that GPU is not sagging too much and is by 90* angle in PCIE slot of motherboard.

I'm sort of new to this building and diagnosing So im not sure how to check which chip is using RTX. heres a screenshot of GPUZ loaded up. The GPU is screwed into the back panel at a 90 degree angle, so its as sturdy as it can get.. i can try cleaning the pcie here in a little while

7gBXx0a.png

Who knows how the seller tested the card? He might just plugged in , seen that it displayed and thats it.

One fun fact to try again to DDU and disable windows from installing newest drivers.
image.png

Solution
Nov 23, 2020

image.png
Thank you, i tried an old driver yesterday to no avail unfortunately.. I just now removed the GPU, cleaned PCIe part, and reslotted it making sure it was a good fit. Still booted up with green lines and bugged geforce/nvidia control panel..

So yesterday when I tried the DDU and resintalling drivers manually, I was disconnected from the internet so no new drivers could install. Should i still try this step again and disable windows from updating?

I think from your
So yesterday when I tried the DDU and resintalling drivers manually, I was disconnected from the internet so no new drivers could install. Should i still try this step again and disable windows from updating?
Was an good idea.
Have you tried other PC? To remove suspect of motherboard&CPU issue. (had that kind of issue long time ago with GT520)

Nov 23, 2020
Have you tried other PC? To remove suspect of motherboard&CPU issue. (had that kind of issue long time ago with GT520)
Actually, the other PC is quite old. It was buiolt almost 10 years ago. I'm worried there may be some compatibility issues with that old motherboard or processor im not sure. With this new pc i was able to plug everythingg into pcpartpicker to make sure it was all compatible

Nov 23, 2020
Is it newer than LGA 775 socket?
Then it can run. Just use correct power supply.

It's older so i don't think it'll be compatible.. After having it fixed for a little while this morning and it randomly rebooting and breaking. And after cleaning the card.. I'm starting to just lean towars its a faulty card. I'm gonna start looking into a new card and returning this one but if you can think of any other solutions to try let me know! thanks so much

Reactions: RememberThe5th