[SOLVED] HELP!! New PC Build

Flint Dameron

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Hello all!

I've built a few gaming PC's before with little trouble but tonight I'm completely STUCK!

I just completed a fresh new build and only pulled over the PSU, 500 gb SSD, and GTX 1080 GPU. Otherwise I have a new MOBO, CPU, Memory, Cooler, Case, etc. I even added some NVME SSD into the mix.

The BIOS boot just fine and I get plenty of good readings. I set my boot order to the USB (which I formatted to FAT32) which has a fresh copy of Windows 10 from the Windows Utility (Full 8 gig installer not just the ISO). I reboot, the windows logo comes up, the dots go in a circle for a few seconds and then FREEZE.

Here is what I've tried:
  1. Take apart and rebuild entire system to ensure all components seated. Verified no bent pins on the CPU.
  2. Booted up with no GPU
  3. Tried memory in different channels (BD and then AC)
  4. Tried different USB ports
  5. Deleted and downloaded new copy of W10 again.
  6. Made sure none of my other drives were even plugged in.
  7. Refreshed CMOS.
  8. Tried different USB.

I'm stuck.... I can't get windows to continue even with step one.

1 thought I have- I am running the 9900K and using an old HX650 from Corsair. It only has ONE 8 Pin CPU connector. I've read and heard that you only need one if not overclocking. But I'm wondering if the freeze is happening because the CPU is trying to engage but senses the missing connection?

Here are my specs:

CASE: Thermaltake Commander
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Auorus Master
CPU; I9-9900K
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
PSU: Corsair HX650
Cooler: Corsair H150I Pro
MEMORY: 16GBx2 Corsair Dominator Pro RGB

Please help.. I've searched the forums and I see some comments about turning certain settings on and off in the UEFI but I can't find those settings. It's 1:35 but I'm not going to bed until I see a desktop.

Thank you all.

Solution
Try enabling the CSM (Compatibility support module) setting which is probably located nested under the Secure boot settings in the boot menu tab. Make sure OS is set to 8/10 rather than "other OS".

The extra EPS connector has nothing to do with your issue.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version. Some BIOS versions might not support the 9900k.

Flash drive partition type shouldn't matter because if you used the Windows media creation tool to create the installation media, which is the correct way to do it, it will format the drive itself.
Try enabling the CSM (Compatibility support module) setting which is probably located nested under the Secure boot settings in the boot menu tab. Make sure OS is set to 8/10 rather than "other OS".

The extra EPS connector has nothing to do with your issue.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version. Some BIOS versions might not support the 9900k.

Flash drive partition type shouldn't matter because if you used the Windows media creation tool to create the installation media, which is the correct way to do it, it will format the drive itself.

Solution
Also, not sure what the heck you are talking about with BD and AC but your memory should only be installed ONE way, and that's with the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots populated going left to right starting at the CPU socket and moving towards the edge of the motherboard. Those are the DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 slots.

0GoAA8a.png

Flint Dameron

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Also, not sure what the heck you are talking about with BD and AC but your memory should only be installed ONE way, and that's with the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots populated going left to right starting at the CPU socket and moving towards the edge of the motherboard. Those are the DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 slots.

0GoAA8a.png
That's what I meant. Slot 1 and 3 and slot 2 and 4.

OK good news: after hours of searching I finally decided to do a Q Flash update from Gigabytes website and that did the trick. I didn't realize the BIOS could be a year out of date. From there I was able to install windows from the USB and since then everything has been stable with no issues. This is resolved.