Question HELP! New Setup - No Power?

Aug 11, 2022
Hello Everyone,

Just building a new setup and have connected a RM750x Corsair PSU to a Gigabye AORUS X570 I with a view to updating the Bios with the Q-Flash mechanism before going any further.

I turned on the PSU, ready to do the update. The power shorted my house electrics and the switchboard flicked. I assume that the PSU drew too much power from the plug socket (apparently its a dodgy socket!).

In any event, nothing happened with the motherboard at all.

I swapped sockets in my home, but nothing is happening. No lights / Q-Flash isn't responding to the USB. No lights on the mobo nor fans spinning. There are no 'funny' smells from the hardware pieces either.

Can't really get my head around it?

I don't want to proceed with the build and add components without first being able to confirm the hardware is okay.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

Just building a new setup and have connected a RM750x Corsair PSU to a Gigabye AORUS X570 I with a view to updating the Bios with the Q-Flash mechanism before going any further.

I turned on the PSU, ready to do the update. The power shorted my house electrics and the switchboard flicked. I assume that the PSU drew too much power from the plug socket (apparently its a dodgy socket!).

In any event, nothing happened with the motherboard at all.

I swapped sockets in my home, but nothing is happening. No lights / Q-Flash isn't responding to the USB. No lights on the mobo nor fans spinning. There are no 'funny' smells from the hardware pieces either.

Can't really get my head around it?

I don't want to proceed with the build and add components without first being able to confirm the hardware is okay.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
sometimes it wont work if you jump to the latest bios..

But i've seen some peeps made the q-flash working with cpu + ram installed.

Maybe try to format the flashdrive to fat/fat32 + mbr. or partition it about 4gb or 2gb and use Fat/Fat32 + mbr format.

Aug 11, 2022
sometimes it wont work if you jump to the latest bios..

But i've seen some peeps made the q-flash working with cpu + ram installed.

Maybe try to format the flashdrive to fat/fat32 + mbr. or partition it about 4gb or 2gb and use Fat/Fat32 + mbr format.

Hey!

Thanks for your response... I'm just grateful you're not telling me "Yup, you've friend your hardware, well done noob!".

I have a 32gb kingston flash drive. Its in FAT32 format. I followed the instructions re downloading the latest bios, unzipping it, changing its name etc.

I have seen some advice on the web about partitioning a smaller part of the UBS pen if its 32gb. I'm not sure how to do that in practical terms? I just format the pen into the correct FAT32 type.... how do you partition it?

I was also thinking of purchasing a USB 2.0 drive?

Cheers.

Hey!

Thanks for your response... I'm just grateful you're not telling me "Yup, you've friend your hardware, well done noob!".

I have a 32gb kingston flash drive. Its in FAT32 format. I followed the instructions re downloading the latest bios, unzipping it, changing its name etc.

I have seen some advice on the web about partitioning a smaller part of the UBS pen if its 32gb. I'm not sure how to do that in practical terms? I just format the pen into the correct FAT32 type.... how do you partition it?

I was also thinking of purchasing a USB 2.0 drive?

Cheers.
i usually partition it using diskpart.

like when you did clean in diskpart after selecting the disk (select disk x, x = the number of the flashdrive in the list), do create partition logical size=2048 (or 4096) , list partition , select partition x (x = the partition number on the list) and format fs=fat (or fat32) quick, and try to see if the drive is alrd on fat/fat32 with 2gb/4gb.

and re do the qflash+

Aug 3, 2022
Lets just clarify

Is the situation that you didn't flash the bios and that the house power just tripped when you switched it on?

Haven't just fried or even just blown the fuse on the PSU have you?
(not that I would connect that psu again)

Check there is power to that 'dodgy socket with a kettle or something - and a different socket - then ...
If there is - try different psu and lead in a 'not dodgy' socket is first stage

Aug 11, 2022
i usually partition it using diskpart.

like when you did clean in diskpart after selecting the disk (select disk x, x = the number of the flashdrive in the list), do create partition logical size=2048 (or 4096) , list partition , select partition x (x = the partition number on the list) and format fs=fat (or fat32) quick, and try to see if the drive is alrd on fat/fat32 with 2gb/4gb.

and re do the qflash+

Thank you - i've managed to create a partition in disk management. I'm going to re-do it to 4gb instead of 8gb.

When I connect the CPU/24-Pin connectors from the PSU to the Mobo - should any other lights etc. come on with this mobo? That's what concerned me. Also, do we press and hold the Q Flash until something happens or one quick press?

Thanks for all your help.

Aug 3, 2022
I must have missed something,
why is anyone doing anything, let alone flashing a bios or ANYTHING when they have doubts about the veracity of the power supply?

Aug 11, 2022
Lets just clarify

Is the situation that you didn't flash the bios and that the house power just tripped when you switched it on?

Check there is power to that 'dodgy socket with a kettle or something - and a different socket - then ...

Hi

Plugged PSU into Mobo and 'dodgy' plug.

Turned on PSU with its switch. I heard the house power trip at the RCD.

I haven't got a different PSU, sadly. I'm not sure how to check is a fuse has blown on the PSU?

There is power to the dodgy socket. Im running my home monitor / printer / laptop power on the socket next to it.

Thanks for your time.

Aug 11, 2022
Lets just clarify

Hi

Sorry for the mix-up.

I plugged the PSU into an extension lead that is running a light / monitor off. Ive just tested it with a kettle and its tripped the house electrics again.

Its definitely an issue with that socket being overloaded.

Thanks.
Alex

Aug 3, 2022
A kettle shouldn't overload a mains socket

Get that socket checked by someone qualified - you may have a loose wires sending voltage places it shouldn't be.