Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX x470-f Gaming
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Sapphire Nitro + 8gb
Ram: 16gb (2×8gb) 2400mhz
Storage: Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD & 2tb Toshiba 7200rpm HDD
PSU: Thermaltake 850w 80 + Bronze RGB Modular
Fans: 6× PcCooler RGB HSP Fans
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400

I originally started out using the Toshiba 2tb hard drive as my main Boot and have been using it for a week or two. Of course it's pretty slow and the hard drive is already decently old so I decided to upgrade to a M.2 drive. I got the Crucial MX500 very cheap because of sales. The only problem is, every time I download Windows to the M.2 and try to boot up it says that I'm not using the right drive... it's the only drive plugged in. I know for a fact that the SSD is completely compatible with my motherboard. You can fact check me on that. I've had literally no problems out of this computer until now. My Toshiba hard drive does still have Windows on it, but it's not plugged in and whenever I get Windows booted up on the M.2, I will wipe the Toshiba. If it's possible I will try to send pictures but I'm not sure about this websites abilitys. I just know there's a lot of smart people on here. Please help, I've gone through so many threads on many different boards... I've been doing this for over 4 hours and can't get it to work.

Last edited:

DatBoi69

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Screencap of your specific error msg would help here.

Upload your image to imgur.com, and post the BBCode link here.
It just states:
"Incompatible Drive selected. Reboot and select a compatable drive."
Although I've been using the SSD for downloading and other stuff. If it's incompatible, it wouldn't have been able to read either way.

I recommend you clear your CMOS and ensure Bios is up to date. It could be that Bios wan'ts to see the Toshiba so keep it out of the loop as before and install Windows as per instructions from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
You will need to do a clean install and best is via the ISO file. Prioritize your USB in Bios and check your SSD is recognized.
If you want to include photos then use IMGUR to host your images, Once your images are uploaded then obtain the BBurl as a link.

DatBoi69

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I recommend you clear your CMOS and ensure Bios is up to date. It could be that Bios wan'ts to see the Toshiba so keep it out of the loop as before and install Windows as per instructions from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
You will need to do a clean install and best is via the ISO file. Prioritize your USB in Bios and check your SSD is recognized.
How do you clear CMOS? What part of the BIOS is that under? And everything should be completely up to date. I've already previously updated every driver I possibly could. I do use the ISO file, I have it on a Seagate 6tb USB external hdd. Hopefully this works.

DatBoi69

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
If you want to include photos then use IMGUR to host your images, Once your images are uploaded then obtain the BBurl as a link.
You right, my motherboard might have abandonment issues with hard drives, so it just wants to see that Toshiba. I posted a link with a few pictures tell me if you need anything else specifically.

How do you clear CMOS? What part of the BIOS is that under? And everything should be completely up to date. I've already previously updated every driver I possibly could. I do use the ISO file, I have it on a Seagate 6tb USB external hdd. Hopefully this works.
To clear your CMOS, remove the CMOS battery (It's a silver disk on the Motherboard marked CR2032) for ten minutes to allow the capacitors to discharge.
Transfer your ISO file to a USB stick and prioritize it in Bios for the OS installation. Leave the Toshiba out of the loop for now.