Question Help! No BIOS shows up after CPU upgrade

Apr 24, 2020
I recently purchased an i7-2600k processor off of eBay. I installed it into my machine, Dell Optiplex 790 which is running a dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 and has a i3 processor in it. No bios appears at all after changing out cpus but after a while Ubuntu will appear and when I check the details it shows the processor and it all works fine.
How do I make the BIOS appear and be able to boot into Windows as well? Basically no bios appears unless it is with the i3 chip inside.

I have upgraded the BIOS from A13 to A22 and reset the CMOS battery as well. But nothing changes. Whenever I put back the old i3 processor, everything works fine.

From my understanding and testing it does not seem to be a bad motherboard or even a bad cpu; (I could be wrong)
my guess is something to do with the dual boot perhaps or still a bios issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated; i've never upgraded a CPU before so im a bit of a noob in this area.

sometimes your system may be loading so fast or it may just take too long for the GUI to be output to your monitor that you miss seeing the "press F2 or Delete" type message and/or the system post. you may only see a black screen or a "no display" type message until further into the boot process.

try repeatedly hitting the BIOS access key as soon as the system powers up and see if it will load the BIOS.

Apr 24, 2020
I tried pressing F2 repeatedly as soon as pc turned on but when I did that nothing showed up at all. The indicator lights on the front of the computer showed a code, when I looked it up on dells website the message was:

"A possible system board resource and/or hardware failure has occurred."
with the resolution being:
  • Clear CMOS.
  • Disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and restart the computer. If the computer boots, add the peripheral cards back one by one until you find the bad one.
  • If the problem persists, the system board/system board component is probably bad.
If i dont press anything, nothing will show up for a while but then eventually Ubuntu will boot up normally.

TRENDING THREADS