[SOLVED] HELP: No Monitor Display After Adding New GPU

May 28, 2020
My system specs are: (I know they are old)

Zotac X58 motherboard
i7 950 3.06 GHz
2 Nvidia 550Ti SLI
1200 W Power Supply
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I purchased a GTX 1650 knowing that it will bottle neck with my CPU and lower performance because of the PCI Express 1.0 slots, but it will still be a huge improvement until I can afford a complete overhaul.

However, I put in the GPU, connected to power, and changed my old VGA cord to a brand new HDMI cable, but my screen remains black saying no signal. I put one of my 550TI GPU back in and I get a screen, so I manually updated the graphics drivers to 446.14, but GeForce Experience keeps trying to revert back to 327.xx. I see the GPU in the Device Manager and it say the drivers are updated and it is enabled. I reset the CMOS battery, with no change. The computer powers up, the GPU light is on, keyboard lights, mouse, etc, but no display on the monitor. I went into BIOS and turned off onboard VGA and even with my 550Ti I don’t get a display and that is where I threw in the towel for now.

Any suggests or advice, please?

Solution
I think you're better off getting a ryzen 5 2600 or just ryzen 5 1600 AF and get asrock b450m pro4 motherboard. The ryzen 5 2600 costs about ~120usd now while the motherboard in my country cost less about 75usd. The amd cpu is just better and more future proof. If you have to pay a bit more the ryzen cpu, do it.
May 28, 2020
I have been looking through out this site some more and found people talking about the LGA1366 chipset and maxing it out. They mention not going into the 1000 NVidia series due to compatibility issues. It seems like in theory this should work, but the lack of BIOS update may be the issue.

I have been thinking about just doing a very low cost upgrade to support the GTX 1650.

looking at the:
i3-8100
MSI B360 Gaming Plus morther board
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHZ

I already have the MSI Nvidia GTX 1650
1200w Power Supply

My thought is that this is a cheap as I can get while allowing myself the ability to upgrade later on.

Any thoughts, feedback, and insight would be welcome just remember that I am attempting to minimize cost abd maximize performance/opening the door for opportunity later on.

May 28, 2020
What's the exact cost of those parts and any particular reason for going with an Intel system? AMD systems are far better value for money these days.

i3-8100 $118
MSI B360 Gaming Plus board $100
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHZ $50

There is no real official reason for Intel vs AMD, but I prefer the Intel name brand. However, if I can get a substantial improvement in performance over the Intel for lower cost I would consider it.

poorbugger

Distinguished
I think you're better off getting a ryzen 5 2600 or just ryzen 5 1600 AF and get asrock b450m pro4 motherboard. The ryzen 5 2600 costs about ~120usd now while the motherboard in my country cost less about 75usd. The amd cpu is just better and more future proof. If you have to pay a bit more the ryzen cpu, do it.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Solution

Agree with this. You say you prefer the Intel name brand, but things have changed a lot this last 2-3 years. The build above is far better than your i3 build.