HELP! No Power on my Dell Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy_guy

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hello All,
I have a DELL INSPIRON 14-3452. I've lost power to it; no lights, no beeps, nothing...just dead.
Steps I've taken so far:
1. Tested the AC Power Cord (using the multimeter) and I did have my 19+ volts.
2. Plugged AC cord into laptop, removed the battery, tested the power going into laptop (again using the multimeter) and I get no readings.
3. I ordered and replaced the DC Power Jack. Plugged the AC Power Cord back in and nothing. (reopened the case and verified all connections were plugged in), removed the battery (as I read that a bad battery could prevent power sonetimes), plugged AC back in AND (drum roll)...nothing!
4. With battery still removed, AC Power still in, I tested the gold prongs in battery compartment with multimeter again and still no power!

I have read that other potential issues could be bad: power button, motherboard, or a PCB (whatever that is). Using logical reasoning skills, I don't think it would be the Power Button, considering the battery was out/AC power plugged in and there was still no readings at the gold prongs in the battery compartment. I am hitting a brick wall here; can anyone offer some guidance on this issue?

diy_guy

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hello Webworkings; thanks for your reply. I have only checked the AC brick/cord and the power to the battery compartment w/ cord plugged in. I know it shouldn't be the DC power jack at this point, since I purchased a new one and replaced it (unless it was faulty). I am not exactly sure the path of the current through the board, so I have not put the multimeter to it. Is there a tutorial I can research somewhere on it; how can I determine what points to check? I never went to school for this, I just teach myself through research and trial/error.

diy_guy

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

Awesome; thanks Webworkings! I have some time today; I'll take a look and see what I can learn from it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.