HELP - No signal from graphics card :(

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi

Just built my first new PC and I'm having trouble with getting the video card to work.

The spec is the following:

Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H

Intel i5 3450

Sapphire Radeon 7870 2gb

Kingston Value Ram

Thermaltake 550w PSU

I'm using my HDTV as a monitor

Everything seems to be working fine. All the fans are spinning, including the 7870's fans. Both the PCIE 6pin connectors are firmly secured. The card itself is firmly seated, as it has to be otherwise it wouldn't screw itself in the back of the case.

Connecting to the onboard graphics via HDMI works fine, however when I try booting the system with the HDMI cable in the 7870, I don't get any signal, it doesnt even show BIOs. Nothing whatsoever.

I've updated my BIOs, installed all the drivers on the motherboard from the CD that came with it.

In the device manager, under display adapters, it says 'Standard VGA graphics adapter'. I have no idea if this is refering to the onboard graphics card or the 7870.

I've tried downloading the latest ATI drivers (12.8) and I've made sure they were for the 64bit of Windows 7 which I am running. It installs, but nothing seems to happen after. When it finishes, it says in the install box that warnings have occured, then links me to Internet Explorer but doesn't specify any warnings, it just details what's been installed.

Currently, the version of Windows 7 I'm running doesn't have a product key as I have yet to purchase a copy of Windows, but I will be doing so in a couple of days. I've got all the latest updates for Windows.

I've also tried going into the BIOs, disabling the onboard graphics and making sure it runs the display off PEG (PCIE). That didn't work so I had to reset the BIOs.

I've literally ran out of ideas and I'm stumped as to what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help

JJ1217

Honorable
If the card is screwed in, it doesn't mean its fully seated. Don't skimp out on things if you think it is. Take it out, and plug it back in. Also you have to realise Thermaltake make terrible PSU's, even worse than no name brands. It should supply enough power, so it isn't a fault there.

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Alright I'll try that.

I was recommended this PSU since I was on abit of a budget. Is it really that bad? Everything is powering up including the fans on the graphics card. If the PSU was at fault, wouldn't the fans on the graphics card not work at all?

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi

So, I opened my case and lo and behold: http://postimage.org/image/3zbwwxxox/

Whatever those brass things are, they look damaged. The one on the middle left looks extremely bent. Am I to assume this card is DOA and should I file for an RMA?

But anyways, I did as you said and firmly seated the card in, making sure that not only did it clip and snap into place, but it was level across the connectors etc. Still no luck :(

Those are copper coils to dissipate the heat. They won't prevent the card from working. I have the same card as you by the way and it has always worked fine. Pull the card and reseat it and press firmly to make sure it is well seated and try again.

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Yes, I have just done that. If I press the card any harder into the MB I'll end up breaking it!

Do you happen to have another system/psu to test with? If not could you use DVI instead?

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
No, unfortunately I don't have another system/PSU to test with. I only have a HDMI cable. The onboard graphics work with just using the HDMI cable so I don't see how it wouldn't work with the 7870. I'm willing to try getting a DVI to HDMI cable if you think that might work *shrugs*?

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
In BIOS, make sure onboard graphics is disabled.

Make sure the extra plug for power is connected to the graphics card. If there is not enough power supplied to the graphics card then it simply will not output anything.

If you are able to boot into Windows with a black screen. Your graphics card could also be defaulting to VGA or DVI. Try pressing the "Windows Symbol" + "P" keys on your keyboard to see if you can switch it to HDMI. If that doesn't work then you might have to connect a computer monitor to fix this problem.

Hopefully, this fixes your problem.

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

Hi

Unfortunately, that didn't work :(

Both PCIe connectors are plugged into the graphics card

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi

Some more good and bad news :S

I took my PC to a repair shop and the guy looked at it for free. The graphics card is working fine on his test bench system and is booting up and everything. So, I went home and ordered a new motherboard, a gigabyte z77x-d3h (the other was a z77-ds3h) since we thought it must of been a bad PCI slot. Guess what? It still won't boot up *pulls out hair*.

This is very maddening. Either there is some compatibility issue between Sapphire Radeons and Gigabyte z77 line or my power supply just isn't cutting it. The guy at the store seems to strongly think it is a PSU problem. He checked my PSU with those electrical meters and it's working fine. (PSU is a thermaltake smart 530w+80).

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

JJ1217

Honorable
Take your rig and ask if you can borrow one of his test psu's. Shouldn't be a problem for him, because if it doesn't work, you can buy a new PSU off the bat :D

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

you got new mobo right?so try to check pci e frequency in bios..is it normal(100 hz is normal) or altered..???? altred frequency do make your gpu mad :pt1cable:

and i also recommend you to check your RAM...whether they are seated well..and do run mem test to check them

Ayura

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for all the replies.

After much headache, I decided to buy another card since my blood pressure was going through the roof!!!

I've read other people having similar problems with Sapphires Radeon 7870 and their Gigabyte motherboards, so I bought a Asus Geforce 660ti OC edition and it booted perfectly (plus it came with Borderlands 2 as well :)), I've had absolutely no troubles. Now to test some games and hopefully see some killer performance :)

TRENDING THREADS