Question [HELP] Noise from GPU even when idle (after upgrade), coil whine ?

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
I just upgraded my motherboard,cpu and got DDR4 Ram today, i5-790k & Gigabyte z390 UD, Corsair 3000mhz ram.

After i changed the components there's been a screeching whiny noise from the computer, it's on constantly, even when idle and only stops if windows is loading something, like( chrome loading a page ) or loading plugins into a software.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQx3T4p9vs&feature=youtu.be
<-- The sound i'm talking about,

I've heard coil whine from my Gtx 1080 before but only when i'm actually gaming, never when i'm idle running no program at all.
This is actually spooking me a little and i'm not sure if i should shut the computer off and ' re install ' every component or if this is somehow just normal after getting new components ?

please help :((

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
What power supply do you have?
Are you sure it's the graphics card?
Are the cables neat?

Hi ! Thanks for the reply,

Power supply is the CX750M 80 Plus.

I'm 80% sure i'ts the gpu, the noise is familiar to the times i got coil whine when running super high frame rates ( main menus etc ) and the noise seems to come from the GPU .

Most cables are the same, except i got 2 SATA cables with the motherboard so i replaced the old cables on my 2 ssd disks because they were newer so why not.

Worth it to mention i also installed a new HDD and 2 new Case fans, Corsair fans with some '' Magnetic '' technology'' whatever that means, corsair ml120 fans.

Also after installing the motherboard and the cpu i now get hissing sound or white noise in my headphones which i did not have before, so this is 100% related to the upgrade.

It might seem like nothing but i've been running this setup for years with no issues, now after upgrading i've got slight white noise in my headphones and some high screeching sound in my case which honestly makes me uncomfortable.

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
Hi ! Thanks for the reply,

Power supply is the CX750M 80 Plus.

I'm 80% sure i'ts the gpu, the noise is familiar to the times i got coil whine when running super high frame rates ( main menus etc ) and the noise seems to come from the GPU .

Most cables are the same, except i got 2 SATA cables with the motherboard so i replaced the old cables on my 2 ssd disks because they were newer so why not.

Worth it to mention i also installed a new HDD and 2 new Case fans, Corsair fans with some '' Magnetic '' technology'' whatever that means, corsair ml120 fans.

Also after installing the motherboard and the cpu i now get hissing sound or white noise in my headphones which i did not have before, so this is 100% related to the upgrade.

It might seem like nothing but i've been running this setup for years with no issues, now after upgrading i've got slight white noise in my headphones and some high screeching sound in my case which honestly makes me uncomfortable.
If you remove the graphics card, does the noise persist?
Try booting without the HHD and see if that changes the noise.

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
If you remove the graphics card, does the noise persist?
Try booting without the HHD and see if that changes the noise.

I updated my BIOS as the support for the cpu came in a newer update, that plus disabling c-states got rid of the noise. Do cpus coil whine ? It really felt like the sound came from the gpu area, maybe the motherboard itself ? Anyways i overclocked the cpu to 4,5ghz and disabled c-states and the noise completely disappeared.