[SOLVED] Help Noob Upgrade

Nov 12, 2019
Hey guys first time ever posting on here. I was planning on doing some major upgrades to my pc within the next couple of months but I am stumped on some stuff and need help. I have never upgraded my pc besides putting in an 860 500GB evo. I currently have an i5 6600k, GeForce GTX 1060 6gb, ASUS Z170 pro gaming mobo, GeIL EVO Potenza 1x8gb, corsair CX600 80+ Bronze, cooler master hyper 212 evo, 860 EVO 500GB, Seagate barracuda 1TB.

My plan is to upgrade to a i5 9900k, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, MSI MPG Z390 gaming pro carbon atx, G. Skill Trident Z 2x8GB.

Now I am stuck on if I should upgrade my psu, if I could go with a cheaper mobo (and whats the downside if I go cheaper), upgrade the cooler? suggestions for these parts please.

Also one last weird question, I currently have windows 10 pro (on a usb) because my friend showed me how to upgrade to it from 8.1 for free.( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) I have the disk to windows 8.1, if I take it to a shop to have them put in all the upgrades I am assuming they will only boot up windows 8.1 (from disk) and not 10(from usb). Would I then have to install windows 10 from the usb and that is it, or will I have to go and mess with the bios and stuff. I am super stupid when it comes to bios so I am scared that I am going to mess this all up and waste a bunch of money. Or should I just replace all the parts myself at home? I am hesitant to do that and would rather pay the 40 or 50 dollars to make sure it is all good to go 100%

Solution
I would not get an i5 9600k. The R5 3600 is a better all around CPU. If you want Intel, I wouldn't go below an 8700k. 6c/6t Intel's can simply run out of steam, in newer AAA titles, causing frametime issues. Your 212 would be plenty, for an R5. You might need to get a bracket, from coolermaster, for AM4, but that is about it.

logainofhades

Titan
I would save money, and get an R7 3700x, and put the savings towards a better GPU. You definitely want a better power supply. The one you have now is not a quality one. Your 212 would not handle a 9900k, but would be ok with a 3700x, though the stock Wraith Prism is pretty decent, as it is. What is your hardware budget, for CPU, ram, motherboard, GPU, and definitely that power supply? It is highly likely, when you do a fresh Windows install, of win 10, and use your Win 8.1 product key, it will work. Don't hook it up to any internet, until the install is finished.

a 9900k and a 2060 super is abit of a mismatch if you are just interested in gaming (maybe your meant i5 9600k?). Obviously it will run fine, but for your money there are much better options. Whats your budget?

Your CX600 PSU will work, but if you are thinking of getting a 9900k you might want to take the safe route and buy a better PSU.

Nov 12, 2019
Yea I did mean i5 9900k. I dont wanna drop more than 250$ on a cpu and I dont wanna drop more than 400$ on a gpu. Really this computer is only for games and homework. As far as upgrading mobo, ram, psu, cooler, I dont want my total to end up being more than about 900$. For right now I know that I am gonna wait until black friday and cyber monday to buy anything, but I am trying to prep for that by doing my research and getting suggestions now.

logainofhades

Titan
I would not get an i5 9600k. The R5 3600 is a better all around CPU. If you want Intel, I wouldn't go below an 8700k. 6c/6t Intel's can simply run out of steam, in newer AAA titles, causing frametime issues. Your 212 would be plenty, for an R5. You might need to get a bracket, from coolermaster, for AM4, but that is about it.

Reactions: Fate05
Solution

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019

Agreed. 3600, with a 2060 and 16GB @3200mhz ram would do you just fine =)